OT: Getting rid of the background on a logo - Using psd or jpg = rendering inferno

Posted by xavpil 
OT: Getting rid of the background on a logo - Using psd or jpg = rendering inferno
December 13, 2008 02:31PM
1) I am trying to get rid of a white background for a logo.
I bring it into Photoshop CS3 and I am able to erase or eliminate the BG to end up with the grey checkboard BG. However when I bring it to FCP, the white BG is still there....

2) I am working with psd file but they take for ever to render. I had them converted to jpg, 100dpi, but same thing. Every changes i make take for ever to render... Any idea how to improve the workflow?

MacPro, 2x 3 Ghz Quad
4 GB 800 Mhz
Re: OT: Getting rid of the background on a logo - Using psd or jpg = rendering inferno
December 13, 2008 04:25PM
Try saving a copy as a .png file. Use that in FCP. That format carries alpha between PS and FCP quite nicely.

-Vance
Re: OT: Getting rid of the background on a logo - Using psd or jpg = rendering inferno
December 13, 2008 04:33PM
In regards to your logo / white bkgd:

JPEGs do not support alpha channels. When you erased the white BKGD and saved it as a JPEG, you added the white BKGD back in. You need create an Alpha Channel in Photoshop and save it out as a TIFF:

* After you erase the BKGD, Command click on the Layer Thumbnail in the "Layers" palette. That will give you the "marching ants" selection around your logo.
* Go into the "Channels" palette and on the bottom click the "Save Selection as Channel" icon. That will create an Alpha Channel.
* File/Save As/TIFF (check "As a Copy" and "Alpha Channels" and uncheck "Layers"winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 13, 2008 06:04PM
Or, just save as a .tiff or .png once you only have the logo and the checkerboard background. The transparent areas will be retained.

December 13, 2008 06:11PM
Another way...

Its likely that you are using just the background layer in PS.

1. Make a copy/duplicate of the layer - this should be layer 1

2. change the layer name to what you want it to be in as a clip in FCP.

3. Delete the original background layer

4. THEN erase the white (or whatever you need to erase).

5. Resize the file (in Pixels NOT DPI!!!) to either match or as close to your sequence size as possible.

6. Save a PSD copy

When you bring it into FCP the PSD file will appear a sequence

Double click to open the sequence and you will find the layer (renamed to whatever you did in in step 2.)

Note: if you have more than 1 layer then will appear as tracks in the PSD/Sequence which can be used separately.

PS Layer Effects eg: drop shadow, outline, etc with not translate so any of these must be flattened with the layer before you save.

Please go and read the FAQ wiki on DPI and when to use it! Its important as you will only get into problems if you don't understand the terminology and its correct use! tongue sticking out smiley

DPI and when to use it!: [www.lafcpug.org]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 13, 2008 08:57PM
Here a mixture of all.

Make sure you got a transparent background, if not duplicate the layer with the logo and delete the underlying layer.
Then remove the unwanted color of the layer with the logo.
Add any effects you need.
Save as "Layered TIFF" means select "TIFF", keep the "Layers" active in the save dialog and activate "Alpha".
"Layered TIFF" will keep all your PhotoShop things, but won't create a sequence within Final Cut. So it's abit different from what Ben suggested - or finally the opposite in regards of saving the file.
If you don't need animated layers of a PSD file in Final Cut Pro "Layered TIFF is the best option.

Regards
Andreas
December 13, 2008 09:09PM
For some reasons I don't receive notifications to my email address that someone replied.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try!
December 13, 2008 09:14PM
Saving as a TIFF without first creating an Alpha Channel does not create an Alpha Channel automatically. You have to create it first then save as a TIFF. You don't need layers if it's a single logo that you just need to remove the background from and the Alpha is embedded. For a single layered image (logo), TIFF with Alpha Channel embedded is the best option IMHO. FCP loves this type of document in my experience.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 13, 2008 09:14PM
Go into "My Control Center" and look under Options for Forum Settings. Make sure "Enable email-notification as default:" says YES

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 13, 2008 10:15PM
Joe you're right and I had been not clear enough.
What I meant is starting with a simple flat file of whatever kind - this may not have an alpha channel.
To create one you got two options: create one by hand (which is easy if you got greyscale) or just duplicate the original layer and delete all (unwanted) from the original background layer (in case of a simple logo). This is just a help to see the transparent background.
From there try your best to get rid of any stuff you don't need on the second layer. In case you want to apply some effects to this layer you can do.
Then save as TIFF with "Layers" and "Alpha" -- transparency is automatically saved to alpha and layers and their effects are kept intact. The big difference compered to a ".psd" file is that it will show up in Final Cut as a simple graphic. You can still use the "opt-cmd" shortcut to change any layer effect in PS (like with PSD files) and it will be applied to all instances.

Regards
Andreas
December 16, 2008 09:15PM
Yes Andreas. It will also take less horsepower to playback. I think you can get the alpha playing in real time with a layered TIFF.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
using photoshop cs2, created alpha channel, saved as tiff
when I try to import into FCP...error message File Error:1(file)recognized,0access denied,1unknown
April 21, 2009 09:06AM
Is it RGB 8-bit? Could you upload the file somewhere so that others could look at it.
I'm new to this site , where do I upload the file to
Thanks
R
Thanks , 8bit RGB was the problem
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics