HELP, Media files went off-line!

Posted by yogatic 
HELP, Media files went off-line!
April 21, 2009 11:21AM
Hi,

I am still a beginner here with FCP. And this keeps happening to me:

Often after opening my project some files went off line and I can not trace them back what so ever.
Today I had to clear some scratch space and removed other titles and render files, most of them nothing to do with the project.
I realised my mistake and dragged everything back from the trash into the disk.
How will I find them cause the conventional way, following the' reconnnect media' dialog does not do the trick.

I am using FCP 6
Mac Osx 10.4.11

I 'saved as ' every day on the drive but also onto an external, that does not seem to have the files either.

Which brings me to my next question : how should I save this , without losing files all the time ?
Thanks, Bas
Re: HELP, Media files went off-line!
April 21, 2009 11:28AM
Media management is arguably the single most important technical skill a Final Cut editor can have. It's pretty easy to get it right, but ? as you've discovered ? a mind-boggling time-waster when you don't.

In your Final Cut browser, right-click the column headings and select "show source." You'll probably have to expand the width of the source column to see anything useful. Here you can see the path to all of your media files. This tells you exactly where Final Cut is looking for each media file. For your offline files, it'll say where it expected to find the media files.

Different editors establish and follow different procedures, but my preference is to keep all of my media files inside a well-organized project folder on my framestore, one project folder for each show. I use a mix of assets from Final Cut Server (which live in an FCS-managed cache folder on my framestore) and other, non-asset-managed media files. All the non-asset-managed media files in my browser are all stored in the appropriate sub-folder of the project folder for the show I'm currently working on.

Once you get organized, FCP does a fairly respectable job of keeping track of everything. It's not perfect, but it's at least manageable. But getting organized is the first step, so that's where I'd recommend you start.

April 21, 2009 11:31AM
> How will I find them cause the conventional way, following the' reconnnect media' dialog does
> not do the trick.

Unless you have some kind of drive instability (corruption, misformatting, directory corruption etc.), the most likely answer is that you deleted your media by mistake.

This is one of those situations where we'll have a very hard time helping you. If you've already searched the entire system for your clips and failed to locate them, then they're probably lost. And without standing over your shoulder watching as you work, it's very difficult to tell you what you're doing wrong that might be causing this. It's just as likely that, since you're a beginner, the files may still be somewhere, but you don't know how to use Reconnect Media to find them.

Check your drive formats -- they should be Mac OS Extended. And check all drives connected to the system, make sure they're not too full (90 per cent maximum).

The only way to learn how to handle media is to learn a good system of file management. (If you don't know where your own files are, it's even less likely others will know where you put them or what you called them) Do a search in the forum; this topic has been covered many times.

> Today I had to clear some scratch space and removed other titles and render files, most of
> them nothing to do with the project.

Never, ever delete files unless you're certain of what they are.
And if media goes offline in your project file, don't save the project file until you've ascertained what happened.

www.derekmok.com
April 21, 2009 12:16PM
Thanks a lot guys,

That's very helpfull.

Indeed when capturing it 'dialoged' that the scratch disk is full.Could that be the problem ?
What can I remove safely than?
Sorry, I am really green...
(I Live in Ireland )
April 21, 2009 12:36PM
> Indeed when capturing it 'dialoged' that the scratch disk is full.Could that be the problem?

YES. If you fill up a drive beyond 90 per cent, it starts wigging out. If you fill it completely, you fry it.

> What can I remove safely then?

Unfortunately, you're the only person who can answer that question. We know nothing about your computer system, what you have on the drive, how large your project is, whether you'd picked a large enough drive to capture the entire project in the first place. So for all we know, all the files on that drive are essential and dumping one of them could destroy your project.

I think you need to take a class in FCP, get an instructor, or at least run through a tutorial book. You need basic knowledge about the different kinds of files in your process.

www.derekmok.com
April 22, 2009 02:12AM
Or at the very least, pick up another LaCie drive and start splitting the media load! Then Reconnect Media. (And don't daisy-chain!)

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Fit Timeline Selection to Window with Shift-Option-Z !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 23, 2009 11:45AM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Does the other LaCie need to be a firewire or will USB 2.0 do?

Daisy chain ??

Bas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics