importing XDcam HD .mxf files to FCP

Posted by bdouglas 
importing XDcam HD .mxf files to FCP
April 29, 2009 11:17AM
I have a few clips in .mxf format on a hard drive that I need to import into FCP. I've tried the XDCAM Transfer from sony, but it keeps saying no clips found.

Here is what I have:

*shot on the XDCAM HD in 1080 60i (from a rental camera Sony PFW-F355 which is no longer in my hands)
*files have been transfered to a hard drive from the XDCAM disc. I have the .mxf & .xml files
*downloaded the XDCAM Transfer (2.5.1) and installed
*using a MAC Pro, dual Xeon 3.0 w/ 8g of ram
*using FCP 6.0.5
*I've tried importing/xdcam option in FCP with no luck
*I've tried adding a source using XDCAM Transfer with no luck

Are there any steps I'm missing? Any alternative (free) software to help get these clips into FCP?
Re: importing XDcam HD .mxf files to FCP
April 29, 2009 12:32PM
My understanding is unless the files are in their exact folder structure created by the camera you're not going to get the NLE or the transfer utility to see the media.

I would try one of the QuickTime components that allows MXF files to be played by QuickTime, it may be a good solution for you.

[mxf4mac.com]
[calibratedsoftware.com]

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
April 29, 2009 01:57PM
Thanks Wes. The Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX works wonderfully. Too bad FCP can't read these files without an $80 plugin.

Thanks
April 29, 2009 02:02PM
But $80 is so cheap that there's no sense complaining about it.

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
April 29, 2009 05:22PM
Have you tried simply importing from the Disk direct to Final Cut and setting a destination in Sony's Log and Transfer preferences - works fine. What you've done, it appears is just dragged the MXF files to a hard drive and then tried to get them into final cut - a little like reconstituting orange juice without adding water - it needs all the information that's on that disk to make log and transfer work - there's a way to move it all successfully to an HD and then ingest - but we just hook the camera to the computer and ingest. FCP will re-wrap the files as Quicktime (with MXF hidden neatly inside) so FCP can read them without the extra MXF native play plug ins -- but those plugs are worth the money in the time saved by NOT having to re-wrap in quicktime. Best - Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics