RAID 0 or 1 for Caldigit Drive for 2TB amount of storage

Posted by Dorian 
RAID 0 or 1 for Caldigit Drive for 2TB amount of storage
April 25, 2009 09:40PM
If I set my 2TB-Cal digit drive to Raid 1 does that mean I only have 1TB of space?
As opposed to setting it to RAID 0 which will give me 2TB- since its storing identical data on both drives?
Thank you
Re: RAID 0 or 1 for Caldigit Drive for 2TB amount of storage
April 26, 2009 10:05AM
Yep...and it reduces your performance considerably. RAID 1 is meant more for redundant security rather than high speed editing performance.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 29, 2009 02:39PM
If the Cal digit drive unit screen states RAID0 do i need to go into utilities on my MAC G5 and set the RAID to 0 (striped- OS extended) there as well? I am having trouble doing this because the setting in utilities keeps changing to RAID 1. I installed the software RAID tool to set the RAID but it does not launch. Thank you
April 29, 2009 02:57PM
Depends...if you are getting the CalDigit VR, then no. YOu do this all on the drive interface on the front of the unit. VERY easy to setup. The Raid is a hardware raid controlled by the CalDigit hardware. If it is set to RAID 1, then you can't use the Disk Utility to make it Raid 0.

What drive do you have? Really you should read the documentation that comes with it. THis isn't a plug-and-play G-Raid...this is a sophisticated box man! It doesn't lots of stuff.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 29, 2009 05:33PM
The raid on the box is set to RAID 0 so then the answer is no i don't need to go into utilities and have it match... silly me thanks... however its running slow..fan starts up after 20 minutes of use and its loud. i spent a lot more $ on this drive.. i used western digital my books before and didn't have a problem. Now i am working capturing footage for a feature and spent the extra money- what do you think about this CalDigit VR? I thought it would smoother. thanks again..
April 29, 2009 05:34PM
Call CalDigit...their tech support is top notch.

Tell them Shane on LAFCPUG referred you. You'll get PLATNUM service!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics