XDCAM - FCP Codec

Posted by DVDP 
XDCAM - FCP Codec
April 30, 2009 05:56PM
Hi All-

Might someone know where I can get the XDCAM Ex 35 mbls VBR codec?

I am not certain, but think it is--

Apple HDV Codec Component Version 1.4 (v218)

Basically I am trying to import XDCAM footage from external hard drive. Footage shot on Sony EX-1.

I am working in FCP 6.0.4

From my research I am told I probably have version 1.3 of the codec and need to upgrade to 1.4

Problem is I do not know where to find it. I checked Apple and Sony. No luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: XDCAM - FCP Codec
April 30, 2009 06:19PM
I don't know if they have it separately but if you download one of the various XDCAMHD file players or converters, the latest codecs are included.

[xdcam.com.au]

is not affiliated with Sony but if you join they have a bunch of links to the latest files on the always inscrutable Sony site.

I think you also have one FCP upgrade left to do, to get to 6.05. IIRC it was in one of those updates as well.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
bj
April 30, 2009 07:17PM
The XDcam transfer program that came with the EX-1/Ex-3 cameras will unwrap the files to .mov, which is what you want.
The program can be found on the Sony Business Products website.
[pro.sony.com]
[pro.sony.com]
Also FCp6.03 and above have the codecs installed already.
April 30, 2009 11:15PM
Thanks.

When I upgraded the client's computer to FCP 6.0.4, the issues seem to have cleared.

May I ask another question?

Do you have to "import" each clip through the XDCAM Transfer Software?

Can I bring the .mov (Quicktime movies directly into Final Cut via "import"?

Just wondering.

Seems like this is doing the "import" process twice. Once out of the camera to the hard-drive and again through the XDCAM Transfer software into the trim bin.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!
May 01, 2009 01:07AM
Before you get confused with piecemeal information:

EX codec comes with FCP 6.0.2 and up. Best to be at 6.0.5 though.
FCP can use EX wrapped in MOV
Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.9 wraps EX to MOV
There's also a Sony plugin which will allow Log & Transfer to do that.

CalibratedSoftware will start selling a plugin in the next few days that will allow FCP to handle the EX MP4 directly without wrapping to MOV.

If you use XDCAM Transfer to wrap as MOV you can just import the MOV files directly.
If you use CalibratedSoftware plugin you can just import the MP4 files directly

You can use XDCAM Transfer as standalone or as part of FCP which will import the files after wrapping to MOV.
May 01, 2009 06:07PM
PS - not sure how quickly CalibratedSoftare's system works - but I know with XDCAM HD (not the EX flavor) it takes a considerable amount of time to use Log and Transfer to re-wrap the MXF files to .Mov files that Final Cut Can use.....Plan to try calibratedSoftware's free trial version to see if it significantly speeds the work flow with this -- Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks Andy
May 01, 2009 07:05PM
PS - not sure how quickly CalibratedSoftare's system works
Import MP4 file and use. No need for Log and Transfer even. No rewrap. Straight from BPAV to FCP Browser.

Fun to use in Compressor or Telestream Episode.
MP4 into encoding app, add Window Time Code Filter and cook dailies with Burn In. No rewrap to MOV needed.
May 02, 2009 10:23PM
Craig - are you talking about XDCAM-HD? (not the s x s chips) CalibratedSoftware creates or uses the mp4 proxies to link the MXF Files? -- and you can use that to provide a timecode burn? Cool!
May 02, 2009 11:16PM
Hey Andy

Craig is referring to the new component from Calibrated Software for reading XDCAM EX native MP4's directly in QuickTime (not XDCAM HD's native MXF's). I note that you say "it takes a considerable amount of time to use Log and Transfer to re-wrap the MXF files" ... other than the obvious ease of being able to drag the native files straight to your media drive, are you finding that it takes longer to import via XDCAM Transfer than just dragging the MXF? Its not been the case here, with the rewrap being relatively insignificant, timewise.

Andy M.
May 03, 2009 10:35AM
EX MP4 Import.
EX MP4 rewrap was usually around 6x faster than realtime for me.

There are plugins for MXF Import as well if rewrap takes too long. I can't imagine rewrap (as opposed to transcode) taking long. It's just that direct import is much faster.

With MP4 even rewrap is very fast it's just that even 6x faster than realtime can be crimp in the workflow when I have 3-4 hours of video and need to turn it around something the same day for a Media Release.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics