beachball of death when capturing media

Posted by Dorian 
beachball of death when capturing media
April 29, 2009 02:46PM
I am getting the beach ball of death when capturing media from a mini dv tape (not HD)
and I'm wondering if a an external drive just installed can have anything to do with this-- installed a new CAL digit 2TB (set to RAID 0), and fan is already going off after 20 minutes of use.
Re: beachball of death when capturing media
April 29, 2009 03:01PM
How is it connected? How is it set up? Raid 1, Raid 0? Make sure that in your SYSTEM PREFERENCES that you have this drive set as your Capture Scratch.

If you are trying to capture DV via firewire, and the drive is also attached via firewire, that can be an issue. ALL the firewire ports share the same bus...one bus for all ports. So many people have a conflict when they try to have the drive and camera on the same bus...others do not. Getting a separate firewire card (MacPro, MacBookPro) can solve this.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 29, 2009 05:26PM
Caldigit drive is connected via firewire 800 (camera connected by FW400) and set up as RAID 0. (and yes scratch disk is set to Caldigit drive)

Previously I transferred data using firewire daisy chained MyBooks (less quality drives) and did not have this problem-- is this new more powerful drive more demanding? I would think it would be the opposite.
Thank you
April 29, 2009 05:54PM
Hi.

Try formating the drive to MAC OSX EXTENDED

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
unable to capture -Dropped frames
May 03, 2009 03:04AM
I am capturing on a Mac G5 in FCP studio- external hard drive is a Cal digit VR, 2TB set at RAID 0- When I try to capture SD footage from a mini DV tape (Panansonic camcorder as deck) the capturing starts just fine but then it rewinds back to cue the In point again-and then stops capturing with a dialog box stating "dropped frames detected on last capture." I have tried several tapes from this production and this happens consistently.

I am just trying to figure out if its the new Cal Digit external hardrive (hooked with a FW800) or my tapes or both? I captured footage before with tw daisy chained Western Digital my books and did not have this problem.
Thank you
Re: unable to capture -Dropped frames
May 03, 2009 08:14AM
> the capturing starts just fine but then it rewinds back to cue the In point again-and then stops
> capturing with a dialog box stating "dropped frames detected on last capture."

It's much, much more likely that it's the tape or the deck that's wrong. You're probably using Batch Capture? The point where the capture stops -- is it consistent from attempt to attempt?

If not, try running a head cleaner tape through your deck and then retry.

If the stopping point is consistent, check the tape there. Does the timecode break? Is there breakup on the image? Try setting your Out point one or two seconds earlier and redo the capture. Batch-capture one of your old tapes where you didn't have problems. Does it go through fine?

www.derekmok.com
Re: unable to capture -Dropped frames
May 03, 2009 06:35PM
Derek -Thank you for your response-I will try what you recommended-
I know the filmmaker did not clean his camera before shooting and that i had mentioned that it was a good idea to do so- Although he had only shot about 70, 60minute tapes and supposedly he did not really need a cleaning according to the place we bought the camera from that also performs cleaning.
The camera is a Panansonic DVx100B. It works great but now I'm worried that we won't be able to capture the footage.
We are using a pretty low end but Brand New Panansonic camcorder - my question is would a more sophisticated proffessional deck that we could rent make up for the dropped frames on the tape- making possible for us to capture our footage- or what other type of trouble shooting do you recommend for tapes with this problem?
Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics