Smooth out PSD text titles for Web Export ...

Posted by mark1230 
Smooth out PSD text titles for Web Export ...
May 08, 2009 12:08PM
Hey guys, this issue is probably old news. But I need help. We've just finished an EPK for a singer that features a series of white on black itle cards with quotes from the press. We designed the titles (static) using Photoshop (.psd files) and imported them into FCP, but when we export the video, the titles look rough around the edges. Does anyone have a standard solution for this? Additional details: Frame Size: HD (960x720 @ 16:9); Pixel Aspect Ration HD (960X720); Field Dominance: None; Editing Timebase: 23.98; Compressor: DVCPRO HD 720p60. Oh yeah, the titles are created the in RGB rendered to 8bitYUB.

Thanks for any and all help. -- mark
Re: Smooth out PSD text titles for Web Export ...
May 08, 2009 03:16PM
Are you looking at them on an external monitor, TV, DVD, etc.? Titles can look like ass in the Viewer until you preview them out to another monitor.

Also, DVCProHD has a funky pixel ratio, did you account for that when you designed your titles? 960x720 gets stretched to 1280x720.

JK

May 09, 2009 08:38AM
... I am away and will pick up the thread tonight or tomorrow.
May 11, 2009 09:28AM
My problem is the opposite. Titles designed in the PSD template narrow in as opposed to widen out. I am testing correctives now.
May 11, 2009 10:10AM
First, make sure your titles are just white on black. DVCPRO HD is a 4:2:2 format, which means you have half the resolution in the color channels as you have in luminance. So white text on black will be twice as sharp as colored text.

Second, DVCPRO HD is a heavily subsampled format all by itself, as you can see by the 960x720 raster. It simply won't be possible to have graphics look as sharp in that format as they would in full-raster 720p24. If this is a real problem for you, you might consider converting your project to 720p24 ProRes. It won't change the look of your source material, but your graphics will be a lot sharper.

May 11, 2009 10:19AM
... Thanks for the input Jeff. Testing now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics