Converting DV NTSC->PAL for PAL digiBeta Master for TV Broadcast.

Posted by Robert 
Converting DV NTSC->PAL for PAL digiBeta Master for TV Broadcast.
May 12, 2009 05:04PM
Hello Everyone,

thanks to anyone in advance who reads this and who has any advice. Years ago I edited my 52 minute miniDV ntsc documentary on another computer with an older version of FCP. All I have now is the old quicktime from then onto which I will put the new soundtrack which has been updated.

Now it will be broadcast in Europe. I need to convert the DV ntsc to PAL and supply the broadcaster with a PAL DigiBeta. I will have the digibeta tape made by a production house.

QUESTION 1> I can just put the old quicktime in a new timeline, correct? It is only 11GB big. Is this too small for a 52 min film??

QUESTION 2: What is the best way to make the NTSC->PAL conversion of my 52 min. film? I want best quality.
> Have the production house do it (would it be worth the extra expense?) (In one production house I went to they showed me a test and the motion was jumpy in the conversion - looked awful.)
> OR Do It Yourself and give the production house the PAL files from which to make the digibeta-
->convert with fcp6.0.5?
-> or convert with Nattress or some other software?? What is best?

Thank you all very much.

Kind regards,
Robert

SPECS
FCP6.0.5, MacBook Pro 15" (the previous all aluminum one), 2.5ghz intel core 2 duo.
Re: Converting DV NTSC->PAL for PAL digiBeta Master for TV Broadcast.
May 13, 2009 04:24AM
a post house good hardware converter should give you the best results.
do you know the type of converter your house used?

the way to do it is to output your old QT with your new mix to NTSC Digibets,
then put that thru the converter.

if they didn't do that, then maybe they were just using software, which you could do yourself.
(it almost sounds as if they just did it in FCP, which will give noticeably jumpy results, so maybe you should try another place.)

Nattress gives good results
as does Compresor, with the frame controls set to "best".
a little bit better than Nattress, but takes a LOT LOT longer.

oh,
11G of DV?
that'd be about 52mins

good luck,
nick
Re: Converting DV NTSC->PAL for PAL digiBeta Master for TV Broadcast.
May 13, 2009 06:06AM
Hi Nick,

thank you very much for answering my many questions!!

Okay I will use compressor.

QUESTION>> What are the ideal settings for ntsc->pal conversion in compressor?? (I have final cut studio 2, compressor 3.0.5)

Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics