Importing P2 footage into final cut pro within an EDL

Posted by carlaeva 
Importing P2 footage into final cut pro within an EDL
May 21, 2009 02:49PM
Hello,

I need to know if there is a way to import P2 material within an EDL as we usually do Batch Capturing material in the ordinary way through a camcorder or VCR.
Thank you very much.
Re: Importing P2 footage into final cut pro within an EDL
May 21, 2009 05:34PM
Nope...sorry. Tapeless doesn't work that way. You have to import the entire clip, or mark your in and out points manually in FCP then import the clip.

Where does this EDL come from? If you imported P2 before, even with IN and OUT points, and then made it offline, you could reimport it again via BATCH CAPTURE. But EDLs are VERY OLD technology, and tapeless is VERY NEW.

But again, how are you generating these EDLS? via Excel?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 22, 2009 06:49AM
Media Composer can do that.
Point to EDL & "Create Sequence"
May 22, 2009 09:30AM
Hi Shane,

The EDL come from an Avid Suit and it´s a CMX3600. I´m working the online in a Final Cut Pro suit from the EDL and the P2 material.
Till now I think I´m going to ingest all the P2 footage and then "Reconnect Media Offline" in the sequence directly.
Thanks for replying my message.
May 22, 2009 12:12PM
The Avid MC can do a LOT of things that FCP can't when it comes to media management. Because Avid is world class at that...media management. You cannot approach FCP in the same manner as you do an Avid....nor can you approach an Avid in the same manner as FCP.

You can try to import and reconnect, but the issue is that the EDL will be a bunch of short clips, and FCP will not connect those short clips to existing full sized imports. FCP wants...demands...the reel number, the same Media Start and End. If it doesn't get those, it won't work. It will not connect the clip to a section of media inside a larger clip. No, that is something that an Avid can do...again, ENTERPRISE class media management.

You can try, but it won't work. With tapeless workflows, it is best to not cross platforms.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 22, 2009 12:32PM
I have never done this myself but a friend had luck with it. It's unwieldy but sometimes something ugly is better than nothing. [Insert cruel joke here]

If you still have access to the AVID editor, get them to put the full clips that they imported from the camera at the beginning of the sequence, completely, as in the whole clip, that will be the same as the one you import into FCP. Then make the EDL. It will be a LOOOOOONG sequence but, and again this is second hand info, it seems to get FCP to realize that the long clip matches the imported file and the short edited clips are from the same source.
I would be curious to know if this works for you. Do a test with a few clips and a simplified EDL first.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics