Audio hardware setup with your FCP editing suite (home setups or pro set ups)

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
Hello,

I'm curious to know how other people have their audio hardware set up with their FCP editing suites.
At home, I have a basic set up. Audio Interface (mbox2 Pro), krk 4's, headphones.
But at work I only have pc speakers and headphones.

Do i need more? Or, is there anything else I should look into?
Re: Audio hardware setup with your FCP editing suite (home setups or pro set ups)
June 05, 2009 01:03PM
OOoo I have all kinds of ins and outs!

I have a USB2 Multichannel analog out to 5.1 Surround for use with STP and also set up to monitor separate tracks in FCP on 5.1 setups also the optical SPDIF connected to the same Surround for DVD playback.

I have a Stereo setup connected from the Mac and also from the Blackmagic Multibridge.

My suggestion would be invest in a decent pair of Headphones and Audio Monitors (Speakers) regardless of what output you monitor on them whether directly from the Mac or via an interface or video card.

Something like these which I recently installed in an Edit Suite for a client.

MACKIE HR824 MK2 ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR (PAIR)
[www.mackie.com]

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
[www.sennheiser.co.uk]

And don't skimp on the cabling either! Get pro quality audio cables.

If you ever get a ground loop hum (it does happen quite frequently even on pro setups) then there are a variety of ways this can be rectified and a simple google search will provide a wealth of solutions.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Audio hardware setup with your FCP editing suite (home setups or pro set ups)
June 05, 2009 02:18PM
A good mixer is a must, especially once you start getting multiple decks and/or I/O devices. It's no fun to be constantly unplugging cables...

JK

June 07, 2009 01:23PM
I´ll second that with cables

The below link is probably overkill...

[www.phonosophie.de]

e.g. at the very latest when they talk about laying an extra power cable for more hi fi enjoyment!

but simple things like

"Plug polarity & phase"

make a huge difference

I am probably the only person in here who filters the power for my audio monitoring a la FCP winking smiley

all very old school with Creek Amp and Spendor Monitor speakers

thinking of this post I should probably get some better loudspeaker cables....

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics