23.98 fps edit, dvd fps?

Posted by jenvery 
23.98 fps edit, dvd fps?
June 12, 2009 08:30AM
HI! If the sequence I edited is 23.98 frames per second, when I export this as a QT movie and put in iDVD, what does iDVD do to it? Does it change it to 29.97? Thank you!

Also, my dvd looks great on the computer in iDVD but after burning it to a disc, on the disc there was audio drift. any ideas? thank you! Jen
Re: 23.98 fps edit, dvd fps?
June 12, 2009 08:48AM
Haven't the foggiest idea what iDVD does or doesn't do. I would strongly recommend using DVD Studio Pro instead, since you've already got it.

But the theoretical answer to your question is this: standard-definition NTSC DVDs can accommodate two kinds of media: 24p and 60i. If you put 24p media on a DVD, the player itself is responsible for giving your television a signal that it can play. This usually means inserting 3:2 pulldown, but you don't have to worry about that, because it's the player's problem. That's part of the DVD specification.

(Side note: Anybody who says they're putting "30p" footage on a DVD is misinformed. DVDs only handle 24p and 60i footage, so any "30p" media will be treated as if it were 60i. That's part one. Part two is the fact that there's really no such thing as "30p" anyway, once your footage leaves the camera. It's all 60i, as far as all digital and analog video equipment is concerned.)

June 12, 2009 09:01AM
where do you think the audio drift after burn came from, or could that be from the player, she played it on a computer through to a screen.

Isnt NTSC 29.97?
let me know best export through compressor for my 24 fps sequence to dvdsp, its a 30 minutes video going onto dvd. thank you!
June 12, 2009 09:48AM

she played it on a computer through to a screen

Then all bets are off. You just never know what a computer's gonna do.

Isnt NTSC 29.97?

Yes. Which is why it's the DVD player's responsibility to add 3:2 to 24p material so NTSC televisions can play it. But because DVD was designed for movies, and movies are shot at 24 frames a second, and encoding only 24 frames per second rather than 60 fields requires less data, DVDs can have 24p material on them.

let me know best export through compressor for my 24 fps sequence to dvdsp

Remarkably enough, it's the one that says "best" on it. Apple wasn't very crafty with their DVD preset names. winking smiley

June 12, 2009 11:02AM
what does the dvd-5 mean? sorry so many silly questions!
June 12, 2009 02:32PM
I think i remember this right. It means it's a single-sided recordable media. (DVD-9 is two sided.)

Geez, I did not know DVD could play 24p! Do the modern flatscreens play it as such?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 13, 2009 12:02PM
I don't think any of the NTSC DVD players can output the 24 frames natively. It all gets pulled down to 29.97. Some flatscreens claim to pull up footage but who knows what that's all about.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 13, 2009 12:26PM
Dirty little secret: all your precious LCD televisions cycle at 60 Hz anyway, just like CRTs. Remove the 3:2 (which most do, because they can't handle interlacing) and what do you get? Nasty-ass 2:2:2:4 pulldown. Blech!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics