SVHS(PAL) to DV-NTSC?

Posted by Ito 
Ito
SVHS(PAL) to DV-NTSC?
September 28, 2002 10:18AM
<HTML>How does one convert an SVHS (Pal) project to DV-NTSC?</HTML>
Re: SVHS(PAL) to DV-NTSC?
September 28, 2002 05:29PM
<HTML>By taking the tape to a dub house that does standards transfers. Lightning Dubbs in Burbank and Hollywood is amongst the best.

It isn't cheap. Usually about $200.00 per hour.

HTH

Dan Brockett

www.biglittlefilms.com</HTML>
Ito
September 28, 2002 06:11PM
<HTML>Can you explain the process that happens at the dub facility?</HTML>
September 28, 2002 06:59PM
<HTML>Playback your PAL S-VHS tape in a PAL S-VHS deck into a standards convertor (most good dub houses use something like the Snell & Wilcox Alchemist Ph.D., about 100K-150K depending on options) and output an NTSC signal into a an NTSC DV deck. You are paying for quality here. The less you pay, the worse the conversion. I had some PAL Beta SP and PAL DV converted to DVCAM earlier this year. They did a great job.

You can try to do this kind of stuff in software like AE but it looks like hell when you have any kind of camera or subject mostion.

If it's just to see it, software may be ok but for professional usage, pros go to pros and use pro conversion (wanted to see how many Ps I could use in one sentence!)

HTH

Dan Brockett

www.biglittlefilms.com</HTML>
Greg Kozikowski
September 28, 2002 08:32PM
<HTML>
This comes up all the time. "I need to output my NTSC show to PAL VHS for a client in Europe." Or, "I want to produce my show for the best quality in both America and Europe."

There are high-end VHS machines that have standards converters inside and which will record and playback anything pretty much doesn't matter what the tape actually is.

We have two of them and we use them for screening of international reels and to send out really really bad sample reels.

Real converters are called "Four Field" (or more) converters and read in two entire television frames of one standard and only then try to figure out where the picture parts should be for the output frames. It's not ususual for you to need an audio delay as well because you can see two-frame delay in lip sync. It's pretty heavy stuff.

For PAL/NTSC work, there are resolution problems one way and motion problems the other.

Our two VHS machines double up and drop video scan lines as needed to simulate a conversion. It looks pretty ratty; you can see it happening.

Most of the time the grandparents in Ireland watching the American Baby Caoilfhionn (pronounced "Keelin"winking smiley for the first time just don't care.

Koz</HTML>
Ito
September 30, 2002 11:13AM
<HTML>Thanks for the info.</HTML>
June 24, 2009 04:24PM
Anybody can convert my 7 minutes PAL from my server to a miniDV quickly today for a quick
$50??

Footage from FashionTV Paris, uploaded to my server, PAL.

I have FCP 5 and about to instal 6.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics