time lapse & standard motion in same frame

Posted by adelena 
time lapse & standard motion in same frame
July 06, 2009 08:55PM
Have you seen the commercials where they record a time lapse shot and cg a person or persons into the same shot in real time? I can think of a couple of ways to get the two shots together using two locked down clips and a couple of 8-pt garbage mattes. My thought is there would be no depth. The real time shot would have to be "on top." I want a timelapse of a city street, crowds walking, cars etc with one person in real time. Just wondering if this is doable with the tools I have at my disposal ie FCP and my HVX200.

Just trying to get the juices flowing.
Re: time lapse & standard motion in same frame
July 06, 2009 09:39PM
Shoot the foreground character realtime walking on a treadmill against greenscreen. (You might paint the tread green as well if you want to see the feet aganst background). Then composite.

For a cooler effect, very slowly inch the pan right to left while shooting the background intervalometer mode.

On the greenstage, truck a little bit from left to right as s/he walks, for a neat subtle depth effect. But don't show the feet-- it'll look weird.

Mix in a little Philip Glass score and you're all set. You'll get work. ;-)

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Nudge a Canvas layer by subpixel with Command-Option-Arrows !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 07, 2009 06:40AM

Mix in a little Philip Glass score and you're all set.

Best advice ever.

July 07, 2009 01:35PM

On the greenstage...

...that is, of course, if you have access to a greenscreen stage winking smiley

It's a lot more that a couple of 8-point garbage mattes...if you don't pull a super-clean key, you are talking about rotoscoping and that takes time & patience (and much more that just 8 points on a mask...a moving person could take more than 100 points - depending on the complexity of movement...might need multiple masks).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 07, 2009 10:46PM
Sometimes they do it where the person doesn't move at all. You get the same feeling, just the matter of a patient actor who can give a somnambulistic performance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics