Trouble burning FCP project to disk

Posted by mindsnare 
Trouble burning FCP project to disk
July 12, 2009 07:55PM
Aloha

After about six months of working on a FCP project, I tried to create a dvd of my project.
I first tried IDVD and would get a multiplexing error. I figured that my dvd burner may of had it so I purchased a new burner. I then tried a free burning program called Express burn - it worked - except I had a blue hue over the entire project - IE red colors came out blue, etc. I then tried dvd studio pro - it would burn the disc - verify, etc - but when I tried to play the disk it would not read - it has data burned on the disk - the disc name comes up - I click on info and it says it has 500 MB of data on the disc - but nothing shows up. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I tried different brand of discs, etc

Thanks
Sean
Re: Trouble burning FCP project to disk
July 12, 2009 10:17PM
Does the disc play on another machine, or on another DVD player?

July 13, 2009 12:45AM
The only disc that would play would be the one created with the Express burn program - but it made all the video blue and looked horrible.
July 13, 2009 02:29AM
OK so discs that you create in the machine can't be viewed on any DVD player, right? I have no idea what the blue hue thing is about, and I'm not sure it's required for diagnosis, so ignoring that bit.

What settings do you have in DVDSP?

July 13, 2009 07:08AM
Whoa. You sound like you are jumping the gun too fast. Firstly, is "first play" defined on the disc? What happens when you hit "simulate" in DVDSP.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2009 05:23PM
When i hit simulate it plays fine - I also set the video to first play as well - no menu - just a video.
July 13, 2009 05:44PM
Are you set to burn an SD-DVD in DVDSP? Next, what is the codec of the assets that you are importing into DVDSP?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2009 08:27PM
aloha

yes the project is set to SD - also the codec is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Thanks for your help

Sean
July 13, 2009 08:42PM
Try encoding that to mpeg2 with compressor. To do that:

1. Drag the QT files into Compressor, select an appropriate dvd preset, encode, then import that into DVDSP.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2009 09:22PM
You haven't answered the very first question yet: Did you take your DVD out of your Mac, after making it with DVD Studio Pro, and try to play it in another DVD player?

I can't and won't speak to iDVD or that third-party freeware thing you named, because I don't know those programs at all. But I've used DVD Studio Pro about a zillion times, and DVDs made with it ? that is, DVD-Rs burned on a computer ? simply will not play back reliably on my home DVD player. My DVD player is kinda ancient, dating back to the middle of the last decade, so I've just accepted the fact that it doesn't handle writable media well. You may be in the same boat.

July 14, 2009 04:16AM
Aloha

no the disc does not play in any other machines - PC / PS3 and dvd burner. Both dvd buners work - i am able to write data cd / dvd's.

Thanks
Sean
July 14, 2009 05:52AM
Okay. Let's start from the bottom. Firstly, what machine, OS, FCP, QT versions are you running.

Then, trash DVDSP preferences. Quit DVDSP, go to "User>Library>Preferences>", move com.apple.dvdstudiopro.plist" to the trash, DO NOT empty trash. Relaunch DVDSP, and try again.

Alternatively, do not hit "burn" in DVDSP, but go to "build/format", specify a location on your media drive, and burn an image file (.img). Then open that disc image in the finder and launch DVD Player and see if it reads the disc image.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 14, 2009 05:49PM
Well i think the problem has been solved for good - My mac died last night. It crashed about 3 times over the evening. the last time it crashed I saw a bunch of code flash across the startup screen. Now when i start it up - it goes to the white startup screen and then shuts down. Thankfully I have most of my data backed up. I assume the mother board crashed and burned. Any suggestions?
July 14, 2009 06:10PM
Yeah. Call AppleCare. That's what they do for a living.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with your DVD problem, of course. But it sounds like at the moment you have bigger fish to fry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics