Converting to HD camera, choices for editing?

Posted by bbailey 
Converting to HD camera, choices for editing?
July 16, 2009 11:08AM
I have a Mac Pro with dual 3.0 Quad processors, 16GB ram, two CalDigit RAIDs, running OS 10.5.6 and FCS2 6.06. I've been a Betacam SP shooter and editor coming to FCP two years ago from AVID Media Composer 1000 of 8 years.

I've looked at a test JVC GY-HD200UB. I shot in 720P30 and 720P60 with some 1080i for FCP tests. I'm playing back on a Black Magic Multibridge Pro to an AKAI 42 inch 1080P LCD monitor from the HDMI input.

The 1080i and 720P30 clips play back with a lot of what I'd call framing or studder especially on pans and zooms. It's kind of like film does on quick pans only a lot stronger. It's not usable. The 720P60 works fine. Smoothe pans and zooms. I don't understand the 1080i and 720P30 problem. I actually blamed the test camera as having something wrong with it and the dealer sent it back to JVC.

I got hold of a demo Sony EX1. Low and behold, same problem. In the HD camera monitor on the camera, 1080i and 720P30 look smoothe but have the crazy flicker the JVC had while the clips shot in 720P60 look great when played back in FCP.

I assumed all the formats FCP allows us to use were usable but it appears not.

The biggest problem I'm having now is in exporting a quicktime of the HD sequences in an SD format for my local stations that aren't currently able to air my HD sequences. I'm having a heck of a time finding an SD conversion in FCP that will end up playable out of the Multibridge Pro so that I can record the BetaCam SP cassette for those stations.
The 720P60 sequence converted to a 30 frame NTSC looks like crap. A conversion to a cropped SD version in 59.94 plays in FCP nicely but won't play to tape.

What to do?
Re: Converting to HD camera, choices for editing?
July 16, 2009 12:48PM
I would contact Blackmagic Support. I don't have ny experience with them...I usually deal with AJA Support, who walked me through just such layoffs in minutes (playing out an HD sequence to DigiBeta in realtime):

[www.blackmagic-design.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: Converting to HD camera, choices for editing?
July 16, 2009 05:08PM
You were right. They told me what was and wasn't supported and it really simplified everything. The 720P60 works but the 720P30 isn't supported.
The 1080i59.94 works and the 1080P30 isn't supported. The 1080i59.94 can be cut together then in the computer where the Multibridge Pro setup is found, the Process drop down menu which usually says "off" can be set to play back the HD sequence as a letterbox SD or anamorphic squeeze SD for tape layoff. I'm in bidness now!

Thanks for your assistance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics