Re: Transcoding red files

Posted by Ethan 
July 18, 2009 07:51PM
Question 1: Is there a qualitative difference between transcoding using Red Alert and FCP.

Question 2: Do I have a choice between frame dimensions when transcoding to ProRes. I see references to 1920 x1080 ProRes HQ online, and I've only worked with 2048x1024 ProRes HQ. What will be the dimensions laying back to HDCAM SR? If I have a dimension choice which should I use. A smaller dimension would take some load off processing time, ie Dailies DVD's, Screeners, Rendering.

This project is not budgeted for Offline. 4k Red will be transcoded to 2k ProRes HQ, edited in FCP, sent to Color, back to FCP. Maybe, a 2 day QC pass in a real color room and then layed back to HDCAM SR.
July 19, 2009 08:20AM
You'll get more attention by posting a new thread than by replying to an old one. So I've split this off into a new thread for you.

When you refer to "transcoding using FCP," I'm gonna assume you're talking about using log-and-transfer to convert R3D to ProRes. There are a lot of reasons not to go this way. I haven't investigated the L&T plugin for a while, so I'm a little rusty on exactly what the liabilities were, but they were significant enough for me to say "no thank you" and not look back.

For batch-converting a whole bunch of R3D media to ProRes, you really want to use Red Rushes. Set up your look in Red Alert, then use that look when batch-transcoding with Red Rushes. Since you're not going to do a DI on this (which is a valid option when shooting Red, but one that limits your flexibility) you'll be best served applying a nice, flat look which doesn't clip anything and that preserves as much dynamic range as possible by keeping the contrast to a minimum. You want, in essence, as close to a flat curve as you can get. Think of this as your "best light" pass in telecine; think of your subsequent tape-to-tape grading as your "scene-by-scene" pass.

If you're going out to SR as video, not using the data option, then your format is going to be 1920x1080 at either 23.976 or 29.97, assuming you live in NTSC-world. Note that if your material was shot at 24, it will have to be conformed to 23.976. You can choose, in Red Rushes, whether to center-cut your 2:1 material ("fit height"winking smiley or letterbox it inside the HD frame ("fit width"winking smiley.

There's really nothing you can do to reduce processing time; converting R3D to Quicktime, DPX or TIFF is equivalent to sending your film to the lab, and as such you have to build time into the schedule for it. You could try doing a quarter-res debayer, but you probably wouldn't be happy with the results; in my experience, when going down from 4K 2:1 to HD, most folks debayer at half-high for the best compromise between quality and processing time.

Note that your basic workflow is not a bad one! There are tons of people out there, from what I can tell, doing just what you're talking about: shooting on Red, then getting out of the R3D format and into a video format as the first step in their workflow, before finishing traditionally as if the job had been shot on SR or whatever. There are definitely some catches ? since you're transcoding out of R3D first, it's imperative that you make sure you get it right, or you'll have to do a lot of backtracking to correct any mistakes or make any changes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics