Cantar audio synch

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
Cantar audio synch
July 21, 2009 06:16PM
Hello, Helpful People

Another adventure in format mismatches.

So, my location sound finally got off DAT, thank goodness, and moved over to a hard drive based system -- the Cantar.

The Cantar is generating very helpful logs for us. However, none of the timecode in the the logs matches the actual timecode on the files. The gap in timecode seems to vary. The Cantar puts the first slate 54:05 from the timecode I am getting on the imported file. The second slate is off by 53:27. The third slate is off by 1:00:04.

Now, according to the Cantar, it recorded audio at 29.97. But FCP is importing the files at 30 fps. I don't see a way to change FCP's import settings.

Moreover, a straight drop/non-drop discrepancy ought drift consistently. This is off by more, then less, then more.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts? Wild theories?

Thanks so much!
Re: Cantar audio synch
July 21, 2009 06:17PM
Oh, worth noting: The project is DVCPro HD 1080i60, pulled down to 23.98. Thanks!
July 21, 2009 07:49PM
What's '60i pulled down to 23.98'? Was it shot 60i or was it shot 24p?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 22, 2009 01:19AM
60i pulled down to 23.98.
July 22, 2009 05:35AM
Hi Benjamin,

You can change FCP's import settings for audio with the 'setup' selection. Though Apple claims that FCP 6 only needs to switch setup I still tend to do it the FCP 5 way where you needed to re-launch FCP.
Have a look at my article about BWAV and FCP - this was written for FCP 5 but also in FCP 6 it works the same way, except the setup option mentioned above. [www.spherico.com]

Be aware that the settings on the audio recorders (not only the Cantar) don't match the settings for TC within FCP (for anything which is NTSC - otherwise it's easy).
As audio doesn't record TC but just samples and a sample-based time stamp which is interpreted by the NLE it could be that you made a wrong setting on the audio HDR. You can easily mismatch recording sample rate and playback sample rate with NTSC.

I do a lot with Aaton BWAVs and so if you got the chance to upload a file I will have look at your problem.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics