how do you un-nest (remove nesting) a sequence?

Posted by filmman 
how do you un-nest (remove nesting) a sequence?
June 17, 2006 10:41AM
I have a nested sequence which has gone offline. Actually, I have one of the two elements, which is in another project and it shows the original sequence entirely. The offline element of the sequence -- which is really the same clip as the one showing up all right -- has probably been deleted (I can't find it.) I tried "remove attributes", it didn't work. I tried solo the sequence under SEQUENCE and nothing happens. Is there a command to un-nest a sequence. I tried deleting and replacing the sequence that is showing up all right but the offline orange bar appear again with the name of the lost offline sequence in the middle.

And the crazy thing is that I don't even remember nesting the sequences either :-) Sometimes when dragging something from the browser seems to create a nested sequence. I don't even realize it when I do it. I didn't understand nesting to begin with :-)
Re: how do you un-nest (remove nesting) a sequence?
June 17, 2006 02:28PM
No offense man, but you have been flying "blind" (mostly) for a few weeks now. We have all suggested you get a book and read about these things. We here don't mind helping those who try to help themselves.

It's just obvious, you aren't trying. I hear it that you don't like to read and some other things, but you are just fooling yourself, to think that without some way of getting accurate information, you can every successfully complete a project.

Please take this as helping you, not putting you down, because that is exactly what we have been trying to do.
June 17, 2006 02:41PM
To de-nest drag the nest sequence from the Browser into your timeline with Command held down. Clips should appear instead of a nest. If any or all are offline, de-nesting won't help.

Yes, nesting happens easily whenever you drag one sequence to the timeline into another. To bring in the constituent clps instead, drag with Command.

You can use Command with the Edit Overlay too. And the keyboard edit commands too, i.e. Command-F9, Command-F10.

HTH

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
June 17, 2006 02:47PM
But I agree with John, RTFM!!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
June 17, 2006 04:03PM
John has a point -- I don't believe it's a good idea to feel your way around it when you don't have experience in it already. We all explore new commands and approaches, but your foundation has to be solid. You need someone to teach you the basics, proper workflow and file management, commands, concepts. Especially since you are using as a guinea pig a project that you're intending for serious distribution.

It drove me crazy back at film school when they switched digital-editing instructors and the new guy just told people to do what they wanted to do in terms of file management. I was one of the tech support staff, and the quality of people's management systems plummeted, while during my shifts the incidences of "stupid questions" I got asked shot through the roof. Starting out in digital editing, people need to be given a "my-way-or-the-highway" approach to doing things. They don't have enough experience to come up with a system of their own that actually works. And with formats and workflows getting more and more complicated, you really have to ask as many people as possible before you proceed.
June 17, 2006 11:35PM
I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a newbie (and Vic...let's face it...you're a newbie here), I absolutely HATED when the Pros told me to RTFM. I thought that is the rudest thing ever... not even taking into consideration that the Newbie poster may be a VISUAL LEARNER (not book-smart, but learns well from visual tutorials / DVD's / etc). So, since you come from old school filmaking (so you say), I am going to go a different route and suggest you take a few classes or invest in some DVD Training:

[digitalmediatraining.com]

This LAFCPUG is a place to come when you're stuck or need a suggestion for a plug-in, etc...not for total training and answers to the most basic of questions.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 18, 2006 12:48AM
Thanks, Loren. I wrote down the commands you taught me on the board above my editing station.

Another thing, while I have your attention :-) I have to replace 38 clips captured in 23.98 with 38 clips captured in 29.97 (correctly). In this way I don't have to re-edit my entire movie. I've created a new project in 29.97 and brought all the 23.98 clips into it. Here's the big question: can I do command overwrite with the 29.97 clips over the 23.98 clips?

I promise to rt*m :-)

JOHN,

I can't complain, you're the greatest. You've helped me so many times. You're right, I'm a bit blind and don't like reading manuals. I apologize for my approach. I'll try to read more. I have one DVD tutorial. I'll go through it again. I know more than it appears though. I just get stuck in simple stuff sometimes. Maybe it's because I come from an old film background. I still like to treat a movie as pieces of celluloid.

DEREK,
You've been the most critical of me in this forum, but your criticism is always constructive. I enjoy reading your posts. You're consistent in all your posts -- to everyone. You're right about the command concepts. This is my biggest weakness. However, I like to learn to use the menu at first, because commands are not self-explanatory. After I've done the same operation many times, i. e., undo under file in the menu, I then begin using apple z. This works for me the best. But until then, I don't remember what the different commands are. I've read the quick reference summary sheets, but there are too many commands to learn at once. And referring to them all the time is not very conducive to my style :-)

I enjoy the interaction with people on LAFCPUG, such as Joey, for example :-)

JOEY,
You have me figured right, I'm a visual learner, but I don't have a lot of money, because I save my money for film stock :-) And you're right, I'm a newbie, and I demand my rights as a newbie to ask when I don't know something. LOL
June 18, 2006 04:42AM
[ can I do command overwrite with the 29.97 clips over the 23.98 clips?]

You need to hear from people here who do 23.98 regularly; I have limited seat time in it. I find it taxed my Dual 800 CPU pretty severely in RT, transcoding for 29.97 output on the fly.

I also don't like the idea of mixing media types. One of them will probably have to be rendered for best results.

There's a Cinema Tool operation for telecine and reverse telecine; this is a good example of need to study up!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
June 18, 2006 09:34PM
""You've helped me so many times. You're right, I'm a bit blind and don't like reading manuals. I apologize for my approach. I'll try to read more. I have one DVD tutorial. I'll go through it again. I know more than it appears though. I just get stuck in simple stuff sometimes. Maybe it's because I come from an old film background. I still like to treat a movie as pieces of celluloid.""

Hey filmman! Thanks for taking the comments with a positive spirit. I love to help others and I don't mind wading through stuff to get there. Let's just say, we all have our limits.

I appreciate the openness and candor and will try harder next time.
June 19, 2006 11:26AM
Filmman
Find a Final Cut User group in your area, they are a great place to learn Final Cut. Attend them regularly. I'm partial to LAFCPUG who BTW hosts this forum but there are other great groups around the USA and the world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics