G5 Shut Down

Posted by Rich Samuels 
G5 Shut Down
June 17, 2006 02:06PM
Foir a few weeks now, I've been having problems with my G5 Quad shutting down unexpectedly - I've removed all memory (down to the original 512), and the system still shuts down. I might go for several hours without a problem before the shutdown, or it might happen on start-up, or after a few minutes. No lights, nothing - just an accelerated fan and a complete shut down. At the moment, I can't get it to start up completely. Fans start, I hear the start-up tone, and the system shuts down.

I brought it once to my local Apple Store, which plugged it in for a couple of hours (of course the system didn't shut down then). Their only theory was bad memory, but I've proved that wrong.

Anyone have any idea what this sounds like? I know I'll have to bring it in, but I'd like to hear from anyone who knows about this issue.
Re: G5 Shut Down
June 17, 2006 02:19PM
Energy Saver control panel? There may be a scheduled shutdown at work.

Nothing else comes to mind.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
June 17, 2006 02:22PM
The Apple Store blames EVERYTHING on non-Apple purchased memory! It makes their image very tarnished!

Look around www.macintouch.com and there are many comments on G5 problems. Perhaps others have had this as well. Sounds like a possible logic board problem (maybe).

You got AppleCare with your G5? Use it NOW.
June 17, 2006 02:23PM

Sound's like money unless you're under AppleCare.

Start the machine on the System CD. Put the CD in and hold the "C" key while you start up.

If that works many times unconditionally, then your System Hard Drive may be on the way out--or so unstable that it causes machine failures.

Everything inside these machines plugs in. Pull the side off and make sure everything is plugged in firmly--although the service people should have done this.

Koz
June 17, 2006 09:27PM
Got Apps, in utilities go to the console, open it, search in the right and click the system.log file, then search for your last crash, and see the error number, is it -122?
If it is -122 or -144 or something like that is a faulty power source, go an show that to apple, thy will replace it.

Good luck
June 17, 2006 09:56PM
Also, what about the possibility of dodgy power at your house? If it works fine in the Apple shop and not good at your house .. how does it work at your Mum's house?
June 17, 2006 11:07PM
I had the same issue in my Dual G5, They had to change my Power unit, Good luck, I am 100% sure is that.
Check the log file, show that to them.
Anonymous User
June 17, 2006 11:42PM
Could the UPC be loose or faulty? Check both ends of the cord. They are snug?

I s'pose if it's been to the Apple Store..but it didn't do it at the Store...Did you bring your power cord to the Apple Store, or did they use one of theirs? Bad cord?

The power supply issue is usually associated with an audible POP, and then nothin', dead computer. Is that what happened with you, Thomas?

It could be lots of things, unfortunately. Bad logic board, something loose internally, dirty power...

Don't know if this helps...but it's top o'the head stuff...

June 18, 2006 12:37AM

<<<but it didn't do it at the Store>>>

Not exactly. It's my understanding that it does that at home, too, it's just that it was in one of its well-behaved episodes when the store got it.

I've had those. They're not fun

By all means try your mum's house. Change the power cord. Keep good notes.

Koz

June 18, 2006 12:37AM
I checked the log file - it shows the "-122" error, so it looks to be the power source.....It goes in Monday...

At the moment, it's been up for about eight hours without a crash, so hopefully it will hold together long enough for me to finish necessary work before I turn it in...

Thanks for your help, everyone!

-Rich
June 18, 2006 01:06PM
-122 => faulty power source, Good Luck, I had the same problem.

I have a problem now, when I try to capture HDV with my Sony Z1 cam, sometimes I get a general error after capture, and my file is not connected. Whe I go to the Scratch disk The file is there, so I import it to the browser, but one of the audio channels is missing. ???
I dont know what to do. I trashed my Prefs but It didnt solve the problem.
Is very anoyying!
June 18, 2006 02:36PM
Ah, sure sign of a veteran Avid editor. Check your Scratch Disks pane; you likely have "Capture to separate drives" checked. HDV is a strema just like DV, doesn't like being separated.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics