Dropouts during Print to Video

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Dropouts during Print to Video
July 23, 2009 10:34AM
Recently, I have begun to see an occasional dropout after I have done a Print to Video. I am editing HDV and mastering back to HDV tape.

When I play the tape back after putting it to tape, I will see a dropout where the image will freeze and the audio will go silent for a few seconds before recovering.

I have tried 2 different computers, 3 different firewire cables, 4 different decks (which are Sony Z1U cameras), and have seen this problem. It doesn't happen very often...and it doesn't matter if it's a 10 minute video or a 60 minute video. It's very time consuming to try to lay it down again, especially to find that there's another dropout in it.

I don't think it's computer related because it's happening on both systems.
I don't think it's cable related because I've used three different ones.
I would be inclined to say that it wouldn't be deck related, because I've used four of them...however...all four cameras are the same age and have similar amounts of use: Operation 406 x 10H, Drum Run 109 x 10H, Tape Run 88 x 10H and Threading 353 X 10H on the hours meter.

My opinion is that it is a deck issue. We have had these cameras for 3 years now and they have been used a lot for both shooting and editing purposes. Also, occasionally we have started noticing dropouts while shooting video as well, but not as often as when we print to video.

Anyone with any insight?

Thanks!
Casey Petersen
Re: Dropouts during Print to Video
July 23, 2009 11:54AM
Replace your tape stock. What you're describing is the textbook symptom of a tape dropout. Dropouts on normal tape can be as short as one frame, but with HDV, if you have a tiny tape error, you lose a minimum of one whole GOP, which is half a second.

July 23, 2009 12:00PM
I've talked to a few other people this morning, and they seem to think the heads are too worn on my cameras...they have around 1000 hours on the drum.

Thanks!
Casey
July 24, 2009 04:45PM
Sony likes you to record HDV onto special Digital Master stock [specifically: PHDVM-63M] which supposedly has a better head wrap. Costs double the standard stuff. Consumer grade for HDV is a no-no. (Even though everyone uses it.)

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Nudge a Canvas layer by subpixel with Command-Option-Arrows !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 24, 2009 07:39PM
Yeah, that's a crock. I used to use regular old Sony MiniDV tapes ? I forget the model number, but the one in the blue wrapper ? for HDV with no problem. But only use them once. Tape really should be a write-once medium.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics