OT: UPGRADE BLUES

Posted by dan chapman 
OT: UPGRADE BLUES
July 24, 2009 03:45PM
I finally got the funds to upgrade to FCPStudio 2 and received my copy from J&R last week. Then Apple announces the NEW FCP Studio yesterday.

I paid $449.99 to J&R for FCS2 on the 7th. Today the new FCS3 is $299.

I got screwed. I called Apple customer relations and they won't give me a free upgrade sinceI didn't purchase it from Apple direct. J&R won't do anything.

Is there anything you can suggest? This is really not fair. And I thought Apple was cool with honoring these kind of things.

I was on the phone with customer relations just now and they said there is a 14 day "price protection" period from the time of shipment. And this only applies to items purchased directly from Apple. Mine was shipped on the 7th from J&R (That's the place of purchase when you do it from the LAFCPUG store). I received it on the 13th. I had it for 10 days when the new version was announced. If I waited 'til the 23rd, I would save $168 and also have FCP7. As it is, I will have to spend $750 to upgrade to the same software.

I feel really burned.

Dual 2.5 Ghz G5, 5GB SDRAM, FCP 6.0.6, QT 7.6.2, OS 10.4.11
Re: OT: UPGRADE BLUES
July 24, 2009 03:49PM
>And I thought Apple was cool with honoring these kind of things

They are, if you buy from them. J&R doesn't have any sort of return policy? 15 days? Restocking fee?

You could buy the FCS 2009 upgrade and then SELL the FCS2 upgrade on eBay. I know that many MANY people who still have G5s who have been waiting on upgrading will be disappointed with the new version not working for them.

IN FACT, I know two people here in LA that were using FCS 1 and G5s, and didn't upgrade to FCS 2 yet and they would be interested in that copy.

OH, and I note that in your specs you have a G5...you do know that FCS3 does not work on G5s, right?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2009 03:57PM
Is that right!!! It won't work on my computer? Are you sure?

That's why I held off to upgrade to FCS2 for so long. FCS1 was working well for G5.

July 24, 2009 04:03PM
VERY sure....

[www.apple.com]

Requirements to install all Final Cut Studio applications
Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of RAM (2GB of RAM recommended when working with compressed HD and uncompressed SD sources; 4GB of RAM recommended when working with uncompressed HD sources)

So you lucked out...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 24, 2009 04:04PM
OK. I just found it:

"Minimum System Requirements to Install All Applications
Mac computer with an Intel processor"

Sorry, I should have checked first. Thanks for letting me know. Oddly I feel better.

Now to get there, I'll just need to spend $299 more for the upgrade plus buy a new computer.

grinning smiley

July 24, 2009 04:05PM
You need to talk to J&R Dan. They should make good on this. If they don't you can make a big stink here and it wont help their future sales that is for sure.

And like Shane says if all you got is the G5 then you don't want the new FCS. Stay with this for a year and when you get money for a new Intel, upgrade then.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2009 04:14PM
The requirements are slightly ambiguous. You might be able to install FCP on a G5. The requirements do say to install all the applications you need an Intel machine. Which begs the questions, which applications don't need an Intel machine?
July 24, 2009 04:37PM
But that's the way of our biz, dan...you should know that by now. I can't count how many times I bought software / gear to have a "surprise announcement" release new gear making what I just bought EOL. Hate that.

You lucked out anyway - no PPC support for the uprgrade as documented so enjoy grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 24, 2009 05:04PM
I did talk to J&R. They said as long as it's opened they won't take a return on software. They can't get a return from Apple.

But I can't go to FCS3 anyway. So for now, I will just appreciate what I do have.

Thanks to all.

July 25, 2009 11:18AM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The requirements are slightly ambiguous. You might
> be able to install FCP on a G5. The requirements
> do say to install all the applications you need an
> Intel machine. Which begs the questions, which
> applications don't need an Intel machine?

The new FCS installer quits if it's not an Intel machine. Simple as that.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 25, 2009 11:23AM
Anyway to custom install if you don't want to install all the apps? Not to hijack the thread but it will be a FAQ?

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2009 11:23AM
>The new FCS installer quits if it's not an Intel machine.

That would be it, since universal binary requires the software to be coded twice. They won't waste time or resource on that.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2009 11:33AM
All the new versions of the applications are compiled for Intel-only and are not Universal apps. So that would be a no on installing or running any part of FCS on a G5. The Apple requirements are pretty clear on this: Intel required.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
July 25, 2009 11:35AM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway to custom install if you don't want to
> install all the apps? Not to hijack the thread but
> it will be a FAQ?

It's the same as it's always been- you can custom install apps and content, as long as it's Intel. smiling smiley

Noah

July 25, 2009 11:43AM
Been reading a few posts and so far no one can figure how to custom install? The upgrade anyway. Is there a trick or are they just missing the obvious?

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2009 12:18PM
I don't think they coded it to be universal binary. That would mean they will have to spend more cash to code it, as well as troubleshooting all PPC/intel compatibility issues.

[en.wikipedia.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics