PAL DVD

Posted by Joshua Martelli 
PAL DVD
July 28, 2009 04:59PM
Hey guys,

We've been asked to produce a PAL DVD from an existing NTSC project that was cut at DVCPROHD spec (720p/24). Wondering the effect / outcome of trying to convert these edits to standard def PAL, and possible suggestions on workflow. Our inclination was to simply convert the master files in Compressor and rebuild the menu system. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on pitfalls to avoid.

thanks!

-J
Re: PAL DVD
July 28, 2009 06:16PM
It's a lot of extra work- but yes basically convert master files and redo menus. Is the client aware that just about all PAL TVs and DVD players play NTSC discs, as long as the region is open?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Re: PAL DVD
July 28, 2009 10:15PM
i second Noah's last comment.
could be a lot of wasted effort.

i work in PAL land myself,
and the last film i cut was at 24fps.
we simply made all our screeners as NTSC.
never had a problem.

if you decide to go ahead, you have two choices for turning the master file 24p into 50i / 25fps

1- using compressor, with frame controls set to better or best (can take a long time)

2- make a COPY of the file, and use Cinema Tools to "Conform" the clip prior to mpeg encoding in Compressor.
this is instantaneous, and you get a direct frame-for-frame correlation, as the clip simply plays a bit faster.
downside is: the clip now plays a bit faster.
4% faster, and audio is pitched up slightly.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics