I've fixed the text limit in the Text Crawl generator, any other features you'd like?

Posted by Alex4D 
I've fixed the text limit in the Text Crawl generator, any other features you'd like?
August 07, 2009 05:46AM
From my blog:

I hardly ever use text crawls to create on-screen ?news ticker? effects, so I?ve never came up against the limitation mentioned in the July edition of Larry Jordan?s Final Cut Studio newsletter:

crawls will only show 2 minutes worth of text, no matter how long you make them in the Viewer.

This is due to a limitation in FxScript, the Final Cut language that implements most filters, transitions and generators. You cannot draw any text that is wider than 32767 pixels wide. Even if your video is only 1920 pixels wide, in order to move the text past the screen, the generator draws all the text for each frame, moving it a little each frame.

I?ve fixed that limitation in a new version of Text Crawl. I?ve also added the ability to animate based on a keyframe value and at specific speeds (as well as the usual from in to out), also if a font you want to use doesn?t appear in the menu, you can type its name into the ?Other Font? field:

Before I release this, what other features you would like. Reply below!

@alex4d

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
nice work Alex!
Re: I've fixed the text limit in the Text Crawl generator, any other features you'd like?
August 07, 2009 09:05AM
This looks great Alex.

Any chance you will be looking at your End Credits Plugin?

I often use Boris but that has a 2 minute max duration too and so I usually use AE but for clients wishing to take the project this is not always the most reconfigurable option.

It would be nice with the Pixels per second - to set it to say 50 pixels per second locking it this to a constant field (upper/lower) so we can minimise any undulating text on interlaced displays.

At the moment if I set it to say 50 pixels per second on PAL 25fps 50i I still get the text hitting different fields on the way up the roll.

It maybe too much work or not easy or even possible (I don't know FxScript) but thought I'd throw it in there anyway.

Good work on the ticker though!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Really cool Alex, looks like a great plugin.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Re: I've fixed the text limit in the Text Crawl generator, any other features you'd like?
August 08, 2009 11:05AM
Very nice. Thanks Alex

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 09, 2009 02:52AM
great work, alex.

i don't use these crawls much myself,
but would an outline option be a good thing?

nick
Look forward to its release.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
August 10, 2009 01:07PM
Great job, man!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

I've finished it, now for a little testing amongst friends for 48 hours, then I'll upload it...

@alex4d

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
Looks perfect !!!!

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics