Creating a PNG output file

Posted by wolfskier 
Creating a PNG output file
August 13, 2009 04:45PM
FCP 4.2.2
OSX 10.3.9

It was suggested that I make a PNG output file rather than the default QT to preserve the little bit of resolution I have using DV sources.

Program length: 9 minutes

1) I followed the video settings as directed.

2) For audio, the directions stated to use PCM Linear. That setting is not available on my system so I used Uncompressed at 48khz.

3) After 2+ hours of outputting, I get a I/O Failure error. I tried 3 times.
Note my scratch disc has plenty of room. The drive with the project files only is near capacity.

4) I understand that the file, if it ever works, will be quite large, but that it can be compressed with minimal loss. (I always wondered how they got two-hour movies on a disc). What compression program would I use?

Thanx!
Re: Creating a PNG output file
August 13, 2009 04:59PM
>What compression program would I use?

Can't remember if you have Compressor on it. Use Compressor if you have. Use the DVD settings.

Btw, you should export>quicktime movie, use current settings and encode that in Compressor. You shot on DV, going to Cineform is not going to make it any higher resolution.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 05:02PM
> It was suggested that I make a PNG output file rather than the default QT to preserve the
> little bit of resolution I have

Huh? Who told you that?

> (I always wondered how they got two-hour movies on a disc)

Huh? Huh?

I'm getting the feeling you're getting advice from the wrong people somewhere.

> Note my scratch disc has plenty of room. The drive with the project files only is near capacity.

When you're asking us about troubleshooting, never use words like "plenty of". Many people think 20GB on a 1TB drive is "plenty of room", when in fact that's way past critical mass and the drive is about to fry. And "near capacity" raises alarm bells.

Tell us exactly how much drive space you have left. On all drives, even ones that don't contain project elements.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2009 05:26PM
It was suggested that I make a PNG output file rather than the default QT to preserve the
little bit of resolution I have

Huh? Who told you that?
ANSWER: [www.dvcreators.net]

(I always wondered how they got two-hour movies on a disc)
Huh? Huh?
ANSWER: Movies one rents are +/- two hours. I can barely fit 25 minutes of a FCP Movie on a blank DVD.

I'm getting the feeling you're getting advice from the wrong people somewhere.

Note my scratch disc has plenty of room. The drive with the project files only is near capacity.

When you're asking us about troubleshooting, never use words like "plenty of". Many people think 20GB on a 1TB drive is "plenty of room", when in fact that's way past critical mass and the drive is about to fry. And "near capacity" raises alarm bells.

Tell us exactly how much drive space you have left. On all drives, even ones that don't contain project elements.This article should explain it:

ANSWER: Drive with Capture Scratch: 341gb remain of 465gb
Internal Drive with Project File: 960mb remains of 76gb
August 13, 2009 05:36PM
>Movies one rents are +/- two hours

DVD video contains a highly compressed video format, namely, Mpeg 2, devised by the Moving Picture Experts Group. Mpeg 2 uses both spatial and temporal compression, to fit a bunch of moving picture frames into a plastic silvery disc that you can pick up at Walmart. Basically, to cut to the chase, drop your SCQT movie (export> Final Cut Pro Movie for FCP 4 and earlier) into Compressor (if you have it), or use Toast, if you do not have Compressor.

>Internal Drive with Project File: 960mb remains of 76gb

Well, you need to delete some stuff in your system drive, sir. You should try to free up another 10 gigs or so...

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 05:48PM
> Movies one rents are +/- two hours. I can barely fit 25 minutes of a FCP Movie on a blank
> DVD.

That's because the "movies you rent" are video DVDs, which are encoded into MPEG-2 files with massive compression, not even close to a full-quality master. You're trying to copy a movie file onto a data DVD, and DV is 1GB every five minutes. DVDs are not viable media for storing master-quality files, because they take forever to write, and are low in storage.

If you were making a video DVD with DVD Studio Pro, you'd be able to fit 160 minutes onto a disc, easily, using Compressor's presets for the MPEG-2.

> ANSWER: Drive with Capture Scratch: 341gb remain of 465gb
> Internal Drive with Project File: 960mb remains of 76gb

Your Capture Scratch is low, but not quite at breaking point. Your internal drive, however, is way past critical mass. With a maximum storage capacity of 76GB, you should have left at least 7.6GB of room free, at least. You're risking the death of the drive.

Before you do anything. clear out room on this drive.

> It was suggested that I make a PNG output file rather than the default QT to preserve the
> little bit of resolution I have

I looked at the link. There are several things I don't agree with.

That page tells you to convert your anamorphic 16:9 DV material to 720x405. That makes no sense, because once you go to 720x405, you will not have an anamorphic movie file anymore; you'd have a wide, non-letterboxed frame, and you won't be able to master to tape. Which, to me, makes it not a "master" anymore. In order to go back out onto tape as anamorphic 16:9, you'd have to stretch that 720x405 back out to 720x480 -- two levels of quality loss for absolutely no reason.

I don't know a great deal about the PNG format, but I get the feeling it's a computer-based, graphics format (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). So, even if it's lossless, chances are it's an RGB format, which means colours will shift. It's the same reason why people don't edit in an Animation timeline, because while Animation is theoretically lossless, it's not intended for video. It's intended for computer usage, such as designing animations on a computer so that there's no loss of quality in exports, and colours stay as they were intended -- until they are imported into a video-based timeline, like Uncompressed 10-bit SD.

Plus, your original material was DV and you edited on a DV timeline. If you then export to the PNG format, there is no improvement over the original limitations of DV. That page mentioned that graphics and titles suffer in DV, which is true. However, since you edited in a DV timeline, all the limitations of DV compression are already on your graphics and titles. If you wanted better-looking titles, you should have edited your DV clips in something like an Uncompressed 10-bit SD timeline. If you're outputting to a DV tape as a master, it still won't improve your titles (since the DV tape will impose the same limitations as a DV timeline), but if you're using an Uncompressed 10-bit SD movie file as the basis for, say, DVD-bound MPEG-2 files, your graphics are supposed to look better.

Just export a DV QuickTime movie. I think you're going through many extra steps for no good reason.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2009 06:01PM
Thanx for all the info!!

So how do I create a Uncompressed 10-bit SD movie file as my timeline basis? I have not seen that in the preferences.
August 13, 2009 09:33PM
You're not wrong, Derek. PNG is an 8-bit losslessly compressed RGB still format. Turning your show into that is some of the worst advice I've ever heard in my life.

August 15, 2009 10:42AM
PNG stands for Portable Network Graphics, and as understand it, was invented by Adobe to get around the original JPEG licensing issue.

I've never seen an image sequence exported as PNG but why not? You hear about TIFF exports all the time. The CBS News graphic open I documented came from TIFFs out of 3D Studio Max.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Nudge a Canvas layer by subpixel with Command-Option-Arrows !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 15, 2009 11:13AM
As far as the link is concerned, it is not sound advice to port the video out as an 8 bit RGB codec for further encoding. Also, the article cites changing the pixel aspect ratio to square pixels.

Although Png, Animation, Tiff are "lossless" codecs, lossless in this case implies the method of compression. However, these are also RGB codecs, this means that you will effectively be converting the color space your video from Y'CbCr to RGB, then back again for the Mpeg encoding. This is one unnecessary hit.

Then, you do not need to resample your video to square pixels to resample it back, as SD video pixels are never square.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics