i color corrected my project, but....

Posted by ankawa 
i color corrected my project, but....
July 30, 2009 02:06PM
how important is to have the project luma safe since my video will not be broadcast ? This is just a Sweet 15 event.
Re: i color corrected my project, but....
July 30, 2009 02:11PM
Not that important. Just know that the reason that standard exists is that footage that is TOO BRIGHT can cause some TVs to wig out and break up. So don't go above like 105-110 IRE. Or throw the broadcast safe over everything and render just to be on the safe side.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 30, 2009 02:17PM
ok, so in my next project i will just white balance the event: making blacks look blacks (tuxedos) and whites looking whites (cake or walls) and no worry about the yellow warning. Then apply the broadcast safe to the whole sequence.....
It sounds like saving a lot of time smiling smiley

thank you....

Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not that important. Just know that the reason
> that standard exists is that footage that is TOO
> BRIGHT can cause some TVs to wig out and break up.
> So don't go above like 105-110 IRE. Or throw the
> broadcast safe over everything and render just to
> be on the safe side.
July 30, 2009 02:22PM
That's only wise if you're actually monitoring your footage on a broadcast monitor, or at least a television. Computer screens have totally different characteristics, and what looks like an image with good tonal and dynamic range on the computer screen can end up looking completely blown out ? or completely crushed ? on television.

Exercise caution.

July 30, 2009 02:27PM
Yeah...the ability to see what the footage actually looks like on a TV would be a big requirement as well.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 30, 2009 02:35PM
any good (inexpensive) monitor that can be connected to my imac ?
July 30, 2009 02:46PM
What format are you working with? If this is DV, it is easy as routing through your camera to a TV. If this is HD, you will require more than just a monitor...you will need an HD capture device of some kind.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 30, 2009 03:15PM
I'm going to piggyback here, as I have a similar question...if I get a capture card like a Black Magic, do I have to have an HDTV to monitor a DVCPRO HD project or is it possible to send the signal to a SD television set (albeit not in HD of course)?
July 30, 2009 03:24PM
All the capture cards can downconvert HD to SD...Black Magic, AJA, Matrox. So you can downconvert the signal to an SD monitor. Know that you are then seeing is an SD color space, not HD. So this will be fine if you make a SD DVD, but not if you output to an HD tape format, or encode to BluRay.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 30, 2009 03:48PM
Gotcha...Thanks Shane.
July 30, 2009 04:35PM
If you have to ask, it's too hot so why not just bring down the LEVELS a little? Also, skip Broadcast Safe...the plug-in sux...it destroys the footage. Just use Levels & 3-Way CC and adjust to safe areas with the Scopes open.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 31, 2009 10:53AM
One interpretation of what broadcast safe is, is whether the signal will be clipped or distorted when the signal is converted to RGB. The standards exists for a lot of reasons, one of which is because when displayed through different monitoring devices or when the footage goes through color space conversion, whites may be clipped, pixelated or displayed inaccurately.

Of course, I overheard the flippant remark today at work that CC is "all just computers", so yea, I had half a mind to type "just get a professional Colorist to do it for you and it'll look great". Broadcast safe isn't that important for non-critical work, as the guys are unlikely to throw your tape back at you, but of course, grading it within those specifications will allow your work to be displayed more accurately across a wider range of display devices.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2009 11:39AM
wow this monitors are indeed expensive
-----[losangeles.craigslist.org]
July 31, 2009 01:54PM
I wouldn't sink any money into a PVM if I were you. Those were Sony's "bargain" broadcast monitors, and the tubes weren't as good as the ones they put in their BVMs. With no SDI input, it's debatable whether a PVM would be any better for you than a consumer television. Okay, so a PVM would be a little bit better, but it's really not a good investment.

August 05, 2009 03:39AM

any good (inexpensive) monitor that can be connected to my imac ?

What type of iMac do you have?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 18, 2009 06:48PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any good (inexpensive) monitor that can be
> connected to my imac ?
>
> What type of iMac do you have?

i have imac 20"
August 19, 2009 05:41AM
Could you elaborate?

There are many versions over a few years - what model and more specifically does it have a display out that you can hook up to an external source?

The problem you will encounter is connecting an external display to your iMac will use either the FireWire or the Display out as you don't have any PCIe slots for broadcast video cards.

For instance you should be able to get a Matrox MXO and connect it via DVI from a mini-display port on the latest iMacs. You will need to contact Matrox to confirm this works as some displays and devices don't work well with the mini display port.

Other devices use FireWire which might pose a problem with your external Video Storage unless you use USB2 (which I don't recommend).

Here is a fairly complete list of the devices available: [www.synthetic-ap.com]

Bear in mind you will need at least component or better still SDI to connect to a broadcast monitor.

But to connect to a TV at the very least use S-Video which will give you a better picture than composite (the worst quality connection).

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics