Can't capture HD video from Canon Vixia HV30

Posted by Sam Cucher 
Can't capture HD video from Canon Vixia HV30
August 19, 2009 01:45AM
Hello
I am trying to capture HD video from a Canon Vixia HV30 to FCP 5.0.4 but even though I can control the camera from the Log and Capture window - I even see the time code running when I hit play and I see my footage in the camera's screen - I cannot see the video. I did a capture now test and got a black clip with the right audio, so somehow the video signal is not coming through.
I've tried using the Easy Setup for HDV1080i60, which I noticed uses a Sony Firewire setting for the controllable device, and so I have also tried a custom set up using HDV 1080i60 with HDV Firewire for the controllable device. None of it works. I tried also the Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60 but it takes me directly to a "capture now" window, much like in FCP HD Express, without allowing me to control the camera and review my footage before capture.

I noticed as well in the camera manual, that the VCR setting AV->DV should be switched to OFF. The thing is that I cannot access this setting, either with the firewire cable on or off. All I see for this setting is a dotted line ----
Anyone has any ideas of what can be wrong?
I am on an iMac 2GHZ Power PC G5 OSX 10.4.11 with QT 7.6.2
FCP is 5.0.4
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sam
Re: Can't capture HD video from Canon Vixia HV30
August 19, 2009 02:10AM
Canons generally require you use Firewire BASIC. Trash prefs and try that.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2009 02:36AM
Hi Michael
Thanks for your quick reply. Can you explain where do I go to trash the preferences?
thanks
August 19, 2009 02:41AM
[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2009 03:06AM
Thanks
I trashed the preferences and tried to set up FCP to a custom setup with:
Sequence preset - HDV 1080i60
Capture preset - HDV
Device Control preset - Firewire NTSC Basic
when I go to Log & Capture I get an error message that both the capture preset and the device control should be set to HDV. Not sure if I'm doing this right.
Otherwise, if I choose a setup for DV-NTSC Firewire Basic I will be capturing DV (720x486) not HDV, right?
August 19, 2009 10:57AM
Isn't there a pre set for HDV, 29.97, HDV - 1080i60 FireWire Basic? Assuming you shot that? You didn't shoot 1080p24 HDV did you?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2009 11:39AM
I had same issues. I gave up and just captured in iMovie. Worked perfectly first time.

Ken Kessie
August 19, 2009 01:19PM
I have a different model of the camera - HV10S I think --that creates Mts files (mpeg stream files)
I injest through log and transfer and it works fine - not log and caputure - have you tried that -- or using MPEG streamclip?
August 20, 2009 07:57PM
I use the HV30. This is how I have it setup for imputing video into my iMac.
Under Easy Setup I use Format: HDV Rate: (all rates) and Use will change if I'm using 24, 30, or standard-so let's say I shot at 24 Use: 1080p24 Firewire basic. I have yet to have any problem, transferring into my iMac.

I also shot video using the Canon SX1. It shots in full 1080p@30, but it is AVCHD.
I have not had a problem, in FCS using that footage.

Just that I would add input to this feed.

Russ Andris
August 20, 2009 08:01PM
Also, maybe you have a bad firewire cable. It does happen.

Russ Andris
August 21, 2009 02:38AM
Thanks!
I am upgrading to a new version of FCP, which I think will give me more options with presets.
I will be on the field again for a couple of weeks before I attempt to capture again. Hopefully with all the advice I've gotten on this forum and FCP7 there won't be any issues.
Best to all
Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics