Render problem - HUGE

Posted by raf622 
Render problem - HUGE
September 04, 2009 07:49PM
Hi everyone:

I REALLY need some help. I'm working on a nearly 2 hour documentary (MBP, 10.4.11, 4GB RAM, FCP 6.0), back and forth between several projects, always re-set the proper external FWHD's. Just opened up the project a moment ago, and since the last time I closed it (last night) nothing has changed. HOWEVER...

Every single clip that has any filter or a move now shows up as UNRENDERED when I play the Timeline. But there are no red or green lines at the top of the Timeline. In other words, it doesn't seem like my render files have been disconnected, but when I play a clip, I get the UNRENDERED warning. What's equally odd is that without the red or green render bars, Command or Option R doesn't do anything. I actually have to manipulate the clip somehow; I bring the video level down from 100, and it immediately turns red (if it had a filter) or green (if it was a move on a still). And then I hit Command-Z, the level goes back to 100, the red/green line stays, I can render, and then I'm good to go. But I've got thousands of clips, and it'll take me forever to re-set them, and then eat up a ton of space on my HD (a 250GB with 35GB free).

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks so much in advance,
Reuven
Re: Render problem - HUGE
September 04, 2009 08:03PM
Easier to either use Render Manager to delete all render files and start over, or, APPLE-A (Select All), CONTROL-B (Clip Disable), CONTROL-B again (Clip Enable), re-render.

www.derekmok.com
September 04, 2009 09:03PM
i would try to fix the problem before re-rendering.
problem is, i don't really know what to do to fix it.

i would definitely trash preferences and see what happens.

"actually have to manipulate the clip somehow"

simplest way to do this is select all in timeline,.
control b (makes clips invisible)
control b again (visible again)

but render manager is good too, of course.

nick
September 04, 2009 09:11PM
Refusal to render something that needs to be rendered tends to require unconventional tricks to "shock" the timeline back. A few more tricks to try:

1. Select everything in the timeline, move it down, then move everything back.

2. Choose one of your video tracks, preferably the top one. Move everything in that track up one track (OPTION-Up Arrow). Move it right back (OPTION-Down Arrow). Re-render.

3. Put a piece of audio (pick something long, like a music track) underneath everything else. Now disable it (CONTROL-B). Try the render again.

4. Copy and paste everything into a new timeline with matching settings.

www.derekmok.com
September 04, 2009 09:22PM
>FCP 6.0

Is that the .0 release? I remember there was an issue with the early versions of FCP 6 that "forgot" render files after you open the project. You may have to upgrade (and everyone you're swapping the project with has to do the same) to 6.0.2 at least.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 05, 2009 02:48PM
This may be a Dynamic Playback issue. What about varying timeline playback quality?

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Enable timeline A/V links with Shift-L !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 05, 2009 03:01PM
Ah...

I
http://www.apple.com/support/releasenotes/en/Final_Cut_Pro_6.0_rn/
n previous versions of Final Cut Pro, rendered items of a duplicated sequence could become unrendered after you reopened a project. In these cases, the render bar indicated that the items were rendered, but the items appeared unrendered during playback in the Canvas. This issue has been resolved in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 06, 2009 01:02AM
Dear Derek (and everyone who replied):

THanks so much. I used Render Manager and got rid of about 40GB of renders from all 11 rough cuts, and am now re-rendering. I also will upgrade to 10.5 and FCP 6.0.2

You are all great and tremendously helpful.

Thanks,
Reuven
September 06, 2009 09:25AM
>I also will upgrade to 10.5 and FCP 6.0.2

Go up to FCP 6.0.6, it's a lot more stable and it's better when you're working between workstations.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 08, 2009 06:12PM
Dear Gerald:

Thanks for your previous reply. I've got a question about updating (not upgrading, I'm told):

I haven't done ANY software updates, so I'm in 10.4.11, and FCP 6.0, and QT Pro 7.2.0. I was told by the Apple help line to do a software update of everything. That would get me updated firmware (EFI and SMC) as well as QT Pro 7.6.2. They told me that after that installed, I could then update FCP to 6.0.6. My question is: SHOULD I DO IT? Are there any problems with QT Pro 7.6.2 and FCP 6.0.6, and OS 10.4.11???

Thanks much,Reuven
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics