Right mic to use?

Posted by Rick Sparks 
Right mic to use?
September 09, 2009 10:34PM
I know this isn't specifically an FCP question, but I also know there's more expertise here than just about anywhere, so here goes. Last night I recorded a barbershop chorus in a room with a lot of hard surfaces. I used an Audio-technica AT4073a shotgun mic aimed at the center of the chorus from about 15 feet away. I recorded through a mix-pre (my field pre-amp) to tone down the volume, but the results were poor. The center of the chorus, where the lead singers stand, was too dominant.

I have my trusty old Shure SM58 and an wondering if that will give me a better response and more balanced sound.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Re: Right mic to use?
September 09, 2009 10:45PM
Where possible, in situations like these I would have wanted to record with a secondary mike, an ambient mike that you can mix in. Were you using a camera, or just an audio recorder? Obviously the more sources you had the better, and recording to separate channels for maximum mixing versatility. I really think that microphone choice is less relevant here than positioning; the closer singers will still dominate unless you have recording positions that aren't so much closer to them. For example, it's not like a Shure SM58 would be able to pick up a singing bass player on a stage as much as the lead singer who's in front of it.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics