White screens suddenly

Posted by Anthony 
White screens suddenly
September 10, 2009 04:46PM
I tried searching for a general thread about this issue but could only find ones that related to certain codecs and things that don't apply to my problem.

Basically, Final Cut Pro 7 is suddenly giving me white screens in the Viewer and Canvas seemingly at random. This didn't used to happen with FCP6. I restart and it seems fine but I shouldn't have to do that. I'm not sure, but it seems to happen most when I disconnect my MBP from my external display to take with me, though it has happened once or twice while connected to the display. I trashed preferences but that hasn't remedied the problem.

I installed Snow Leopard around the same time I installed FCS3, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the app or with the OS or a compatibility issue between both.

Anyone got any suggestions about what I can try to start troubleshooting?
Re: White screens suddenly
September 10, 2009 05:05PM
don't know if that's the reason but in final cut you can choose which background-color you want to see (black, white, transparant). i have the german version of final cut, but i think it's in the menu under "VIEW/Background"
September 10, 2009 05:10PM
The white screen problem has happened to a lot of users after installing FCP 7, and apparently for a lot of different reasons.

With me, the issue was a corrupt user profile, or files that were migrated from my old mac to my new mac.

For others, some incompatibility arises when the install doesn't get rid of some FCS 2 files and the conflict creates the white screen issue.

Here's a link to an Apple Forum thread that detailed some of the causes and fixes for various people.

White Screen (Canvas set to RGB)

Good hunting.
September 10, 2009 05:43PM
Thanks Andy, that's a great place to start!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics