OT: Remote Monitoring of JVC GY-HM100U -- Component to Firewire Converter???

Posted by drtuzi 
OT: Remote Monitoring of JVC GY-HM100U -- Component to Firewire Converter???
October 04, 2009 08:17PM
This isn't exactly about FCP...

Just encouraged a client to buy a JVC GY-HM100U - pleased with image quality for the price

However...

Need to monitor a shoot while out of town - wanted to do so via iChat - but NO FIREWIRE

As it's tapeless - using USB out puts it in a kind of hard disk mode (not for monitoring)

It has a component out and a mini-jack A/V out

Question is - is there a component to firewire converter box that iChat might recognize as an external camera?

Any alternative suggestions/workarounds also greatly appreciated.

Even if I was only getting one frame per second to check framing and see what the lights are doing - I'd be happy.

It's the set up I need to see - once it's shot it's too late - so importing into FCP and sharing via ichat theatre is not really an option.

Needs to be "live" (sort of) even if reduced resolution and miniscule frame rate.

Thanks in advance...
Re: OT: Remote Monitoring of JVC GY-HM100U -- Component to Firewire Converter???
October 04, 2009 09:15PM
What is it you're trying to accomplish here? You insist that you have to see the shoot in real-time, but you then go on to say that even one frame a second would be sufficient. You're obviously not trying to direct performance here, so just what exactly are you trying to do?

There are a number of options for real-time monitoring over the Internet, but I'm not aware of any that would be within your budget. If I understood a little better just what you're trying to do, I think I might be able to come up with a more reasonable suggestion than iChat, for cryin' out loud.

Re: OT: Remote Monitoring of JVC GY-HM100U -- Component to Firewire Converter???
October 04, 2009 10:40PM
exactly - no budget - that's why they bought the HM100 instead of the 700

I built these guys a quickie studio and designed a kind of template for them to shoot one HD web video a week. I shot the first three, then returned to LA. They're going to be shooting on their own in DC from now on and sending footage back to me for editing and motion graphics.

They have to do four distinct set ups. Changing camera positions and reusing/resetting the few lights they were willing to buy. I was able to get something passable out of the situation but they are not film/video people, they are unwilling to pay for local expertise, and I got some seriously blank stares when I used words like "iris" and "white balance".

it's not at all about monitoring performance - I need to check framing and roughly how the lights are being adjusted shot to shot. I need to see that they are setting up properly. Not directing talent from afar. Hopefully, I can talk them thru the first few and it will become old hat after that.

I just need to see what the camera sees before they start rolling - so yeah - 1 fps would be fine. Especially if it meant better resolution.

I know iChat seems silly. I've never had to do this from 3,000 miles away before. I am grateful for any alternative suggestions...

Thanks!
October 04, 2009 11:28PM
I'm only suggesting this because it is a (nearly) zero budget option...

Can you get a webcam aimed at the JVC's LCD screen? Or indeed at an external LCD/Portable DVD player connected to the JVC's AV output?

OK it's not going to be great but provided you get the whole LCD within the webcam's frame you will be able to check framing and have some idea of lighting/WB.

Another advantage is you will be able to see the onscreen camera info so you can check they're not recording at some stupidly low shutter speed or piling on too much gain -and you can check the audio levels for that matter!

I won't take it personally if you tell me this is totally unsuitable -I just thought of it!!!
James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics