False SD 16/9° to QuickTime nicely wrapped

Posted by John_Randall 
False SD 16/9° to QuickTime nicely wrapped
October 09, 2009 08:15AM
okay, in front of me a sequence in Fcp, Pal Dv with widescreen filter settled on 1,78,
I have my square image in the canvas with black bars up & down,

Now I want to export a QuickTime file cheating a 16/9° window, no bars, like any "real" 16/9° export,

so I create a 720x405 sequence and drop the 4/3 sequence, adjusting in vertical center,
I keep everything the same (pixel aspect ?)

but strange things happen,
the image looks good when not playing, but everything is Red bar, I have to render and then... it's horrible in canvas window. althout ... export is fine, the QuickTime is fine.

QuickTime (cmd+i) says it's Dv pal 720x405. although it looks smaller than in Fcp ...
strange,

anybody experienced a better way to do this ? maybe cheating anamorphosed ?
Re: False SD 16/9° to QuickTime nicely wrapped
October 09, 2009 08:22AM
What "strange things"? Can't help you with your problem if we don't know what it is.

John, you need to fix up your terminlogy big-time. "16/9°"? "Cheating a window"? "Square image"? None of that makes any sense. You can't just make up your terminology and expect people to understand you!

www.derekmok.com
October 09, 2009 08:35AM
Derek :

16/9° ? well divide 19 by 9 and look at the result...

cheating ? I mean I want a QuickTime window with plain image, not black bars,
October 09, 2009 08:59AM
> 16/9° ? well divide 19 by 9 and look at the result...

"16/9" is not a degree, it's a ratio. A degree is a unit used to measure arcs in geometry, and also to measure temperature. 19/9 is not the aspect ratio of any video format I know, and your widescreen filter wasn't "1,78"; it was probably set to 1.78:1, another way to describe a 16:9 aspect ratio. So please, slow down your typing, okay? Posting in a forum is not the same as texting, especially since we're dealing with long-distance troubleshooting.

> QuickTime (cmd+i) says it's Dv pal 720x405. although it looks smaller than in Fcp ...

It doesn't work to judge image size and quality in the FCP Canvas window. It shows you the image however large you want, and effects will look worse than they are. So if you want to see the actual frame size, set the Canvas image display to 100 per cent.

As for the render, you're placing a clip with one setting into a sequence of another setting. The need for rendering is normal.

In NTSC land, we have to account for differences in pixel aspect ratio when playing a clip for broadcast vs. playing it on a computer -- eg. external broadcast monitor/SD tape vs. QuickTime Player. In NTSC, you export a 720x480 clip to 720x405 or 854x480 to compensate for the difference. I honestly don't know what the PAL equivalent is.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics