Best configuration for new MacPro + Matrox MXO?

Posted by Bradley Kents 
Best configuration for new MacPro + Matrox MXO?
October 09, 2009 01:20PM
Hello LAFCPUGers!

Just about to finally buy a new MacPro for FCP editing (it's been 5 years since the last one) and am looking for configuration advice. We mostly edit docs, but some corporate videos. We don't do a lot of Motion or AE work, but are doing more as we learn more.

1. PROCESSOR: We think we should go for speed with a 8-Core rather than a Quad. So that's two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors. We think we'd probably not bump up the processor beyond that.

2. RAM: We're thinking 8GB (4x2GB), leaving four slots open for additional memory, if desired. Would FCP, Motion or AE benefit from more than 8GB of memory?

3. DRIVES: Probably go ahead and put 1TB in each of the four drives. Any project would fit and we'd back up to external drives.

4. GRAPHICS: The MacPro comes with one NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB card. Here we don't know quite what is right, but we think we'd need two cards? We want a two-monitor set-up with an existing ACD (23-inch) and a new LED ACD (24-inch), the latter driven by an Matrox MXO for HD monitoring. Will those all play nice with one another? Would some newer Matrox product would now be a better choice?

That's what we're thinking. Any comments/advice would be appreciated, especially in terms of the ACDs and Matrox MXO arrangement.

Many thanks for your time and suggestions,
Bradley
Re: Best configuration for new MacPro + Matrox MXO?
October 09, 2009 01:29PM

1. PROCESSOR

Whatever, basically. More processors and faster processors render faster.

2. RAM

Final Cut isn't that memory-hungry; eight gigs would be plenty. Motion I don't know, but After Effects gulps RAM if it's set up properly. I used to have an 8-processor system with 16 gigs of RAM, and my After Effects wanted more RAM than I had.

3. DRIVES

You want a RAID-5 disk array, if your budget supports it. I've owned a Caldigit HDOne in the past, and it was basically perfect. Never had a complaint.

4. GRAPHICS

Do not put two graphics boards in your system. Your applications will not behave.

The MXO is okay, if it's all you can do. It's basically the best possible way to monitor on a computer screen. But you'll have a much better experience if you instead put in something like a Blackmagic I/O board (they have inexpensive ones) or a Kona and use a proper broadcast monitor.

October 09, 2009 03:23PM
The MXO/ACD or DELL option is bottom of the barrel for monitoring. The ACD is a 6-bit monitor, so not the best. The MXO2 or MXO2 LE or MXO2 mini and GOOD HDTV would be better. Still low rent, but great in that you can INPUT and OUTPUT. MXO is output only, where MXO2 line is In/Out. And you have the same calibration via HDMI as the MXO has via DVI to a computer monitor.

MXO2 mini is CHEAPER than MXO, and the MXO2 LE is just a hair more expensive. A far better deal.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 09, 2009 08:27PM
Thanks for your response, Shane.

Part of the reason I was looking at the MXO and ACD approach was your good article on it. But it looks like things keep changing?

Hope you don't mind while I learn this, but it's sounds like maybe I have three options with three price tags?

1. MXO+ACD = $1800, but only 8-bit
2. MXO mini or LE + HDTV = $500-$1000 + TV, correct? Are we talking any HDTV? So we're talking about a plasma or LED TV? Am I looking for HDMI inputs on the TV? How would I calibrate? Maybe this setup would run, oh, $3000?
3. MXO mini or LE + HD monitor? I'm under the impression that an HD monitor runs something like $4000-$5000? How is this better than a TV? What is the difference between a HDTV and an HD monitor?

Again, many thanks for your kind and informative replies!
Bradley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics