Qt export come out vertically squished on Mac only

Posted by Laurie 
Qt export come out vertically squished on Mac only
October 08, 2009 01:50PM
I have the latest version of Os X, QT, FCS 2, and Snow Leopard.

When I export DVCProHD 16;9 video as "Current" size h.264 best quality, the qt is HD but the video is squished vertically. Meaning that there are black bars on the left and right of the image, and image looks smooshed. When I take that same qt video and play it on a PC it looks fine, no black bars and it's not squished.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Laurie
Re: Qt export come out vertically squished on Mac only
October 08, 2009 01:55PM
What does it look like if you launch quickview (select clip and hit spacebar in the finder)?

>When I export DVCProHD 16;9 video as "Current" size h.264 best quality

DvcproHD is always an anamorphic format. You should convert to square pixels if you want to send it out to web.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 02:31PM
just try the launch quickview. That is showing squished as well.

I never had this problem until I installed Snowleopard, new FCP, and QT update. Unfortunatly I did them all at once so I don't know which one it was that triggered this.
October 08, 2009 02:33PM
Can you export like a 1 second clip or something and upload it?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 02:41PM
sorry, I can't do to firewall issues here.
October 08, 2009 02:52PM
Sounds like issue reading aspect ratio flags with Quicktime X. Snow Leopard runs on Quicktime X. Quicktime 7 is kept in the background or something for FCP.

If you are going out for web, try exporting a SCQT movie, encode that in compressor with one of the H.264 presets (adjust bitrate and all that), then go to the frame controls tab, and switch to 640x360 (or 1280x720), square pixels.

www.strypesinpost.com
DM
October 12, 2009 12:55PM
May not help u but I've run into this "bug" before with QT. I'm not in front of my system right now so I don't have QT Pro. however, I usually run into this problem working with anamorphic standard def. DV.
Exporting a QT movie, you need to go into the video settings of the player and force it into 16 x 9 aspect ratio. Set the apect to something close to 860 x 486 and the movie will look normal. When exported, it will retain the aspect. I don't know why this hasn't been dealt with by Apple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics