A few editing problems

Posted by maltess 
A few editing problems
October 20, 2009 06:39AM
Hello to everyone, I am doing my first serious editing and I dont really if is possible and how to meke the following things. I am editing a documentary with material from diffrent sources

1) It is posible to erase original subtitles in old imported footage? I guess maybe going frama by frame and cloning like in photoshopo you can do that. What program would I need for this? can I use FC?

2) I have diffrent interviews clips and other footage all with diffrent levels of audio. Is there any program or way to make all the levels the same? I mean without going and matching trough every single clip. I heard something called, normalize?

3) I have one clip really bad framed. Can I cut a piece oof the background in the left side move the central character to the center, and then place the piece I cut in the righ free space?

Thanks very much for your help and best regards
Re: A few editing problems
October 20, 2009 09:03AM
>What program would I need for this? can I use FC?

Preferably AE. Or you may export an image sequence and do it frame by frame in PS. Whatever rocks your boat.

>1) It is posible to erase original subtitles in old imported footage?

If it's burnt in subtitles from an archival source, usually I'll just enlarge the thing and cut with it.

>2) I have diffrent interviews clips and other footage all with diffrent levels of audio.
>I heard something called, normalize?

Yes. and no. Normalizer works by finding the maximum audio peak in the clip, and adding a gain to the entire track so that audio peak hits your target audio level. Doesn't really work if let's say you have a very loud sound like a clap or a chair dropping.

You can google for a program called Levelator which normalizes and compresses your audio. But you really should just do it clip by clip. Most of us do it manually anyway and levelator is more for podcasters, etc...

>3) I have one clip really bad framed. Can I cut a piece oof the background in the left side

You can try, but I doubt it will work. Usually I'll advice a reshoot and use a camera guy who actually sees what he's shooting.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2009 12:29AM
Thanks for yor help

1) I can´t do that because it would be to much of a cut in this case. What program should I use in this case to erase the subtitles?

3? I completely agree, but I cant reshoot this. The same, what Program shoud I use to try to do this?

Best ragards
October 21, 2009 12:59AM
you can BLUR or COVER the subtitles, but not erase them.

do this in FCP

to COVER it, simply place the Matte > Color generator on a track above the clip.
crop to taste, and feather the edges of the crop in the motion tab crop settings.

you may need to read up on simple motion effects in the manual,
but very simply set the canvas to image & wireframe in the 3rd small pulldown menu at the top of the canvas.
select the clip in the timeline, and start having fun!
you ned to select the CROP tool in the tool bar to crop images, or press C to invoke it.

double click the clip into the viewer,
go to the "Motion" tab, find the crop settings, and adjust the feather setting.

to BLUR it,
hold shift & option and drag the clip up to the next track.
Option will give you a COPY of the clip,
Shift will stop it from slipping out of sync.

now add a gaussian BLUR filter to the top clip,
CROP the top clip to the subtitle area,
and feather the edges.

to attempt the patch-up job on the clip, use similar techniques.
make multiple layers of the clip,
and use the wireframe to re-reframe it,
and the crop tool to create "Cover" areas.

if the crop tool is too crude, experiment with the 8 point garbage matte filter.
you'll also need the mask feather filter,
but better would be to download some of the better free garbage matte filters that have feathering built in.

i just tried to find a link to the PAUL CRISP garbage mattes,
but couldn't find a working one.
does anyone know where they might live these days??

in the mean time, i have mailed you a copy of them.

doing a COMPOSITE like this may or may not work.
you'll most likely find tat when you move the section of wall across there are subtle differences in the lighting, etc that make it not match.
you can try to use the 3-way color corrector to address that,
or maybe you need to re-think the whole thing,
maybe use other graphic devices to help the framing.

good luck,
nick
October 23, 2009 01:57PM
I tried the Blur and cover but it does not work well in this case, are moving subtitles and I acant really find the solution in AE, how can you export an image sequence from FC to photoshop and then come back?

Best ragards
October 23, 2009 02:38PM
Yes. Export>Quicktime Conversion. Select "image sequence", check settings, export. Then when you're done, go to Quicktime Pro, "import image sequence", save as a self contained movie. Then bring that into FCP. Or you could import it into After Effects and render it out as a QT movie.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics