Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using a MicPort Pro (USB pre-amp)

Posted by ixschell 
Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using a MicPort Pro (USB pre-amp)
November 09, 2009 03:58PM
Hi,

I have a G5 running OSX 10.4.7 and FCP 5.0. I just bought a clever, little USB pre-amp called MicPort Pro to simplify recording VO. I can record a VO in Garage Band with it. But, I can't figure out how to record in FCP. There isn't any movement in the sound meters in Log and Capture or the VO interface. I probably need to change a setting. Does anyone know have any suggestions?

[www.centrance.com]

Thanks!
Colleen
Re: Recording VO in FCP with Mac G5 using a MicPort Pro (USB pre-amp)
November 09, 2009 06:55PM
If you open FCP and go to the 'Help' menu, then select 'Final Cut Pro Manual' and type "Using the Voice Over Tool " into the search bar at the top right, you'll find a chapter on how to use this correctly.

BTW, this is not a RTFM post - it's just that I'm on FCP 6, so the relevant info is probably in a different chapter of the manual on your machine.

I'm guessing the problem is that you need to record voice *after* you've done the cutting - which will make more sense once you've read the chapter.

November 10, 2009 12:11AM
>I'm guessing the problem is that you need to record voice *after* you've done the cutting -
>which will make more sense once you've read the chapter.

Eh. Nice one, Jude... But I'm sure ixschell has figured that VOs should accompany the edit, not vice versa... smiling smiley

The settings would be in the front panel of the FCP VO tool. It should mention the USB device that you are using. Also, make sure that the input setting is configured properly in system preferences, and that you are set for 48khz with the device. There should be a GUI for the mic to toggle between the different sample rates.

Hmm... Also, you may want to test it out on a more modern machine...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 10, 2009 02:24AM
>>VOs should accompany the edit, not vice versa... <<

But that's often not the case. In a lot of instances, you get a script and take a voiceover, do a radio edit, then cut the pics to suit that. I personally think its kind of retarded to need the edit done*before* the voice is down.

November 10, 2009 02:30AM
Actually, you're right... Usually I'd do the cut to a scratch VO, which of course, is always my producer's voice, unless they want to go with a perennial dark undertone...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 10, 2009 02:32AM
[But I'm sure ixschell has figured that VOs should accompany the edit, not vice versa...]

Don't tell the FAMILY GUY folks that. Like most all animation, script is recorded first.

And you'd be surprised how often a "radio cut" assists in getting the rough cut together; I use it regularly in the corp/ed world.

BTW, I use a standalone iSight to record scratch (and even final) VO-- it's got a nice 48K mike on it and shows up beautifully in VO Tool, like it was made for it. I've actually used it for emergency ADR. I hang it6 on its magnetic base form an IKEA Antiphony lamp, upside down. But the same capability goes for built-in iSight on MacBooks and MBP's. These are still available on eBay for $125-200.

I guess USB works, but I have no seat time using it; I tried one mike with a USB plug and it just sucked- it was not pre-amped. For timebased media, even audio, Firewire is better. You could always attach a DV camera and use the mike. (You might have to remove any tape to get an E-to-E thing going, experiment.) That would show up in VO Tool as well.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Remove Attributes dialog over any selected clip(s) with
Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 10, 2009 02:45AM
Okay, yes. Scratch VOs first, then edit, then picture lock, then final VO, effects and color grade...

I have a Digidesign Firewire Solo and an SM58 for recording scratch VOs. And a table top mic stand. Everything fits nicely into the backpack if I need it. I'm done with the high school days when we had to hang the mic from the ceiling fan because we were too broke to afford a mic stand.

I think that USB device also comes in-built with a preamp. Not sure how good that is. But she needs to check the drivers for that thing, and to see if it's compatible with a G5/Tiger. Could be a mean order as it's quite an old system that she's running.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics