OT: Reverse Compatibility QT10 - QT7.6

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT: Reverse Compatibility QT10 - QT7.6
November 12, 2009 05:48PM
I am upgrading to Snow tonight. I think the answer to this question would be "yes QT7.6 can convert and handle QT10 just fine", but i wanna be sure.

My workflow for DVD output has been to output a QTSC on my intel with fcs2 but covert the m2v file on my ppc with compressor 2 burn in dvdsp2.
Snow has QT 10 and my ppc has 7.6.

Am i ok for the same DVD output workflow?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT: Reverse Compatibility QT10 - QT7.6
November 12, 2009 07:40PM
What's a QTSC? Anyways- nothing under the hood has changed except for QuickTime Player X removes many of the manual controls. But you still have the option for QT7 as part of your Snow Leopard update.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 12, 2009 08:20PM
thanks
Q-uickT-ime S-elf C-ontained

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 13, 2009 03:57AM
J.Corbett, stop creating your own jargons. QTSC sounds like a video standard (NTSC/ATSC).

www.strypesinpost.com
November 13, 2009 04:44AM
G, you should realise that Americans are the masters of neology!
in one say, out the next.

how about SCQT?

thats the self-made jargon from lafcpug regular John K
(it's in his signature for crying out loud!)

i sure would like an abbreviation for that thing i cant be bothered typing out right now.

SCQT is better than what J typed,
but remember he's a tad dyslexic.
or at least i think he is, and i say that as a fellow traveller.

even though SCQT can be vocalised as "Squirt", i suspect it hasn't caught on.
(hmm... maybe that's WHY it hasn't caught on)
how about QT(SC)

nick
November 13, 2009 04:47AM
Much love, Nick, but that's kind of a load of bollocks. The word you guys are groping for is "Quicktime," which is easy to spell, universally understood and comprehensible without a damn decoder ring.

By default, Quicktime movies are not reference movies. If they are reference movies, then they're called reference movies. If they're not called reference movies, then they're not reference movies, and we can all just go back to calling them Quicktimes instead of making up new words for things every six and a half minutes.

Pant pant pant.

Sorry. Had to get that offa my chest.

(PS: The first person who takes the piss by replying "LOL" or "STFU" gets a permanent ban, I swear to god, just try it.)

(PPS: I don't even know how to ban people, or even if it's possible. But seriously. Don't mock me when I'm pulling an all-nighter on Friday the 13th, please. I have enough troubles.)

November 13, 2009 04:50AM
PS
PPS
LOL
STFU
SCQT
November 13, 2009 04:51AM
AUGH!

Exeunt, chased by a bear.

November 13, 2009 05:01AM
as i say you guys love creating new lingo.
i'm reliably informed that this is partly due to the USA being ruled by CANCER.
Cancer loves crazy lingo.

if it takes, great,
if it doesn't,
then move onto the next one that does.

but let me just say:
i have now read the original post.
it is SO swimming in new-isms that i can hardly read it.

with all respect, J,
you'll get more results if you make it easy on us, rather than easy on you.
(didn't i say this already in 2005?)

Exeunt, chased by a beer.
(compositor NM)
November 13, 2009 05:04AM
Cancer the disease, or Cancer the zodiacal sign? Or maybe Cancer the constellation?

We're all a bunch of crab people! Run for your lives!

But yeah, written communication is a tricky thing. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that shorter is better, that succinct is a virtue, that your words are being weighed on some kind of thought-density meter and if it doesn't ding, you've screwed up.

Poets are to be admired for their ability to compress the ineffability of the human condition into a handful of syllables.

But poets never have to ask for technical support.

November 14, 2009 12:44AM
THANKS NICK,

in fcp in the order of operation is.... FILE > EXPORT > QUICKTIME MOVIE > when the Quicktime dialog box comes up there is a checkbox for SELF CONTAINED. so i see QT before i see the SC. But it does make more in speech to say SCQT.

=============================================

i get what you guys are saying but i learned the QTSC from the people who were posting here 1 year before i joined. (nearly a year before fcp4.5)

Before that i called them Quicktime Movies. Until someone in LAFCP corrected me within the first 10 post i made. Thats the funny part. I could even narrow it down to about 4 people as being the ones who did the correcting.

I do understand that i do not type well and you are right about the mild dyslexia which is something i have only told 1 person about in this forum. Had it since i can remember. Its not in my speech only in my writing, which is why i prefer video tutorials and classroom training. I normally have to read any post 3-4 times if its very technical. Its not a handicap it reason to try harder.

Let me go back to something i posted to my favorite nemesis in my 1st year with an added caveat:

Intellect is not shown in the ability to correct someone when they are trying to ask about something. Intellect is the ability to understand what they are saying even through curse words.
If a person can correct someone who has misspelled something then that means they know what word should have been there. If they know that, then they could have just answered the question or given their rebuttal.

the caveat:

I know that editing is quite technical and it is important to get as close as possible. If you correct me on something like SCQT/QTSC but then in another post answer a question that contained the term then i see no reason to stop using it. But in a VERY recent post i was asking about graphics that blended into footage. I did not know what terminology to use to describe it, so i used all that i knew to explain it.

Lots of people attempted point me in the right direction but it was hard because i didn't know what to type to get what i was saying across. However the last person to post before they closed the thread gave me 2 things that put me on the right path.
That was 16bit instead of 8bit and the correct terminology ( Broadcast Motion Design ) to search to find the answer. This could have been said much sooner and the thread would have ended.

Some folks forget that they have been doing this for 20years and a lot of people work in environments where they are talking to other creative professionals all day. I don't talk to other editors often because of where i am so i don't always know. BUT... if you give me the terminology the next time i use it. Like when Jeff H. told me the the difference between contrast and gamma or when strypes explained bit rate in compression for DVD and other instances like those.

If Jeff or anyone wants to ban me then do it but remove ALL my post because apparently none of them have ever been helpful. Most people here know i am not a tongue bitter or in some beautiful acquiescence to NON-technical insults. I don't often care about the insult as long as there was some semblance of technical info in it.

As an Intellectual i am more concern with the message and not the messenger or the envelope in which that message came.

""""
November 14, 2009 01:12AM
ok, that's all cool.

now to KEEP THIS ON TOPIC

it would be really great if you could apply the same standards to your original post.
i'm not kidding, it really is hard for others to read that.
to tell you the truth, i kind of switched off when Snow Leopard was abbreviated to Snow.

PLEASE go back and read it again, and try to see it from our point of view.
and please do a simple edit on it so it's more readable to others.
(as someone who has a hard time getting my thoughts into words, i often find point form to be helpful.)
as i've said before, we're all in the communication business.

i guess i could go and do that myself, but then why should i?
as a fairly regular reader of posts here, i'm more likely to just skip to the next one that IS more readable.

i think the answer is a simple yes,
but maybe i don't understand the question.

LETS KEEP THIS ON TOPIC, EVERYONE.

nick
November 14, 2009 02:05AM
i figure it it out. Snow Leopard comes with quicktime X and 7.6.3.
The editing in fcp is using 7.6.3

The QT10 is mostly just a player with abbreviated QT7.6 functions. So my workflow is not effected.

Maybe, in osx 10.7 PUMA or Ocelot they will put it all together and hopefully its reverse compatible.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics