transferring media captured with fcexpress

Posted by Julian Lang 
transferring media captured with fcexpress
October 06, 2009 11:47AM
I'm working with a group that has captured media using final cut express. I'd like to save the fcexp media files to one of my fcp external hard drives. Is there an optimum process? I'm using fcpstudio 2 and they are using a fcexp app installed in 2009.
Re: transferring media captured with fcexpress
October 06, 2009 11:59AM

Is there an optimum process?

Not really. It's not like Stone+Wire, where you can bring over whole bins and stuff. Each piece of captured footage is stored as a Quicktime movie in whatever format was used to didge, and those Quicktimes can be brought over just like any other file. In Final Cut, media management is the editor's responsibility, so take care to put the Quicktimes on your framestore in some sort of reasonable place, rather than just copying them to your desktop or whatever.

October 06, 2009 12:27PM
My plan is to (1) Place within my Movie folder; (2) Create "Farmer's Market" Folder; (3) Transfer files to F'sM folder.

I will then Create a new Farmer's market project, and import the files I transferred earlier. Save.

I was wondering if an XML type transfer might be preferable. i don't know whether it's possible with fcexp.
October 06, 2009 12:30PM

My plan is to (1) Place within my Movie folder

Yeah, see ? no. Your Movies folder is located on the root filesystem of your hard drive. You need to make sure your media is on whatever you're using for your framestore.

I was wondering if an XML type transfer might be preferable.

Two things. First, that's not something Final Cut Express does. Second, an XML file is a serialized copy of your timeline, and contains no media. It's like an EDL, only fancier.

October 07, 2009 01:30AM
Please define framestore?
October 07, 2009 02:41AM
Media drive.
October 07, 2009 11:09PM
Sorry, old habit. Your framestore is the place where your frames are stored. Avid calls it "Avid MediaFiles," Final Cut by default calls it "Capture Scratch" (but note that Final Cut doesn't require you to put your media in the Capture Scratch folder). Wherever your frames are stored, that's your framestore.

November 19, 2009 08:17PM
Thanks you all (belatedly). I am actually only able to make my transfer of media material. I Got It!

Here I come external scratch disk.

Julian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics