Video Stutters - Stops - Sound Keeps Playing

Posted by SyntaxJO 
Video Stutters - Stops - Sound Keeps Playing
November 21, 2009 05:56PM
It's a ~15 min full XD project. About 5 seconds or so after I play a rendered section the video and sound will begin to stutter - then stop - then the sound picks up. I've tried SafeRT - low quality playback - the only thing that seems to make it better is setting the frame rate to a quarter.

The thing is it USED to play fine - seems like the bigger the project got (we're on version 10 now) the more problems I would have. Before it would play fine all the way through - then in later version it would start stuttering after 15 seconds - then 10 - then 5 - etc. Should I move my media off the USB2 drive and onto a SATA internal? I don't think that's the problem though. Thanks for holding us up guys.
Re: Video Stutters - Stops - Sound Keeps Playing
November 21, 2009 07:12PM
Definitely don't run your media off a USB2 drive. Also, if moving everything to the SATA doesn't help enough, try creating a new project and copy /pasting from the old sequence into a fresh timeline. Sometimes multiple duplications can cause bloating of the project files.

I think moving off the USB will help a lot though, because the throughput of USB cannot sustain video streaming. It's faster then firewire *in packets*, but not as a steady stream, which causes stuttering.

November 21, 2009 08:27PM
Thanks for confirming that for me - To avoid the large copy I tried using the FIREWIRE connection to the drive and so far it's working - I'll update this to confirm.
November 22, 2009 01:17AM
You need to give more details like what format are you working off and what kind of drives, how full they are, etc...

>The thing is it USED to play fine - seems like the bigger the project got (we're on version 10 now)
>the more problems I would have

I did work off USB 2 once, not by choice. By choice I'd go SAS/Fibre/eSATA and at the very least FW800, all RAID 5s, but the client gets what they want, and I won't pay for storage for a project if the client doesn't pay me for it. USB2 did perform pretty alright. I did encounter stuttering, but it was due to other issues (running off a laptop on battery, with an expanded internal drive).

Firewire is more consistent than USB. You may want to check your available space, and anything less than 15-20% is pushing it on a solitary hard drive.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 22, 2009 04:40AM
Seems to be working - all good!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics