Timeline color shift

Posted by Jeff Johnston 
Timeline color shift
November 22, 2009 01:44PM
Greetings! Working on FC 5.1.4, older dual 800 G4, OS 10.4.11, QT 7.6, etc.

I'm working on a small 20 minute SD project. This morning I opened it, and needed to perform a simple insert edit after first removing a dissolve transition. After selecting and deleting the transition, the entire timeline went into "extra bright" mode. Not the usual darker color/brightness shift associated with selecting something, the colors are all just whiter and brighter, as they say in the Tide commercials, almost like a glowing neon sign saying "you are totally &^#$@%!!."

I tried to insert the clip at the previous point with the dissolve, and I get an error message "insufficient content for edit."

Trashed the prefs, visited the FAQs, searched the forum and the FCP handbooks, nothing seems to leap out about this. As usual, it's the first time it's happened during many successful projects, I didn't change anything between the last file closedown and today's opening and other than for some (I suspect) QT glitchies, no problems to date. I suspect I might have accidentally hit a mystery keyboard combination that did this, whatever it is, but have no idea how to undo it.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. The deadline for shipping the book, and the DVD which must needs be with it, is looming ...

Jeff Johnston
Re: Timeline color shift
November 22, 2009 01:50PM
The simplest explanation would be that you probably have In and Out points selected -- which would mean you're trying to fill a larger area (the area between In and Out) with a clip (your current clip in the Viewer) that isn't long enough to fill that space. Press OPTION-X to clear In and Outs, and try again.

www.derekmok.com
November 22, 2009 01:54PM
Great mother of Moses! Worked like a champ, per usual for this place. Thank you Derek, you're a lifesaver!

Perhaps it's entirely appropriate that I thought my file was bombed, since I'm working on a how-do video for an explosives handbook.

Thank you!
Jeff
November 22, 2009 02:14PM
For the color shift, go to sequence settings (apple 0), in the video processing tab, check that "process maximum white" is set to "white" and not superwhite. See if that helps.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 22, 2009 03:11PM
Strypes -- Thank you for your comment, but no need. It wasn't color shift in the images, it was the timeline. Derek's suggestion did the job. I had accidentally placed in and out markers covering the entire project, eliminating those did the job.

Jeff
November 22, 2009 03:16PM
Glad you had it figured out.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 23, 2009 10:13AM
In Out marks PLUS you had all your track AutoSelect toggles enabled, to be accurate.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Opacity/Audio Levels Adjust dialog with
Command-Option-L !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics