Apple Pro Res 4444 Render Error

Posted by zoine 
Apple Pro Res 4444 Render Error
November 30, 2009 05:58PM
I am using pro res 4444 files to match an edit. I have to resize both layers and place them side by side. The sequence is 1828x1556, Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square, 23.98, Apple Pro Res 4444.
Whenever I resize my pro res 4444 files to stack the tracks I need to render. Whenever I go to render I get the message, "Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card."
I am using a Quad Core Intel Xeon with 32 gigs of RAM on 10.6.2
I would appreciate any input to help me solve this problem. Why won't it render??
Thanks much!!
Re: Apple Pro Res 4444 Render Error
November 30, 2009 06:16PM

I have to resize both layers and place them side by side.

Can you explain what this means, please? I don't follow.

November 30, 2009 06:20PM
What version of FCP are you on?

You're saying that one layer of 4444 works but two gives the error, right?

November 30, 2009 06:25PM
>The sequence is 1828x1556

That's one oddball frame size! How did you end up with that?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 30, 2009 06:32PM
Currently, ProRes 4444 cannot render oddball frame sizes at 10 bit, but if you switch your render settings to 8 bit, you can render it. You can also try a different codec, such as animation to do what you want. Hopefully, Apple will fix this one.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 30, 2009 06:33PM

That's one oddball frame size!

Actually, that's one of the least oddball frame sizes out there. That's a 2K scan of 35 mm print film.

A 2K scan is, as the name implies, 2,048 pixels across. But 35mm print film has a strip on the left side that's reserved for the optical soundtrack. When scanned, 220 pixels on the left side are just cropped out, giving you an 1828x1556 DPX or TIFF. If the film is hard matted, then some amount of the top and bottom of that frame will be black. If it's soft matted, then all pixels count. Same as for anamorphic, obviously, except that the pixels aren't played back square in that case.

That's why I asked for clarification about the "resize both layers" thing. ProRes 444 should (I'm making an educated guess here) be able to handle 2K with no problems. But if you're doing something weird, like trying to stack for 3D or something (????), then yes, I can easily see you running into problems.

So what exactly are you trying to do, and what exactly are you doing?

November 30, 2009 07:51PM
Ah. My bad there.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 30, 2009 08:00PM
Not at all. In these days of P2 and Red 4K 2:1 and Super 35, good old fashioned scans from a film print are less and less common, more's the pity.

December 01, 2009 02:13PM
so I have a low res quicktime, a pro res 422 23.98 on track one. I have a bunch of dpx's that have been transcoded to pro res 4444 through color. I need to match the offline edit to the high res files and I need to have the two windows side by side in order to match those edits because they don't line up perfectly from the timecode seeing as how, for some reason, they do the offline edit in 29.97 so I have to pull cadence on the low res QT before I can match the edit. So I need to resize the 4444 QT files so I can place the two side by side. Any time I resize, or even vary opacity, I need to render the 4444 files. Any time I try to render, I get that error.
Hopefully this clarifies my problem, thanks for the responses!
December 01, 2009 02:35PM
Ohhhhhh. You're just trying to do a conform. Yeah, Final Cut sucks for conforming, sorry to say. There's no built-in real-time split screen or overlay mode. If you try to fake it, as you are, then yes, you'll have to render before you can play back at full quality in real time.

A much better workflow is to put your offline on V1 and your conform on V2, then just toggle V2 off and on as need be. It's not great, but it's far better than trying to fake an overlay.

December 01, 2009 05:24PM
Thanks much, yeah I should have just said conform, would have really clarified things earlier. Unfortunately, the client needs to see the side by side so I am locked to that imperative. I know that a render will be necessary but what I can't get past is the error message I get, telling me that I do not have the proper codec for the render? So as long as I can render, I'll make the side by side work. I do not have a special video card, such as a Kona or Blackmagic but was thinking that since it is an apple pro res codec I should be able to render with the QT components.
December 01, 2009 10:29PM
I guess you blew by my response. It is currently not working as you want it to.
Again, you can render if you set your render settings to 8 bit. Please try that.

Carry on.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics