audio synch question: using 30fps "flip camera" footage in a 29.97 timeline

Posted by thomasnybo 
audio synch question: using 30fps "flip camera" footage in a 29.97 timeline
December 07, 2009 08:56AM
We're producing a travel reality show and we're considering giving out some flip cameras to the on-camera hosts to intercut with the principal photography. We're not worried about a slightly degraded visual image, but I'm worried about the audio being in synch. The timeline is 29.97 frames per second... and as far as I know, the flip camera (like the Canon 5d mark II) records at a straight 30 frames per second. Will this be a nightmare in post... or is there a compressor conversion or another solution that will cleanly allow us to convert the flip cam footage and drop it into the 29.97 timeline without going out of synch? if it's a hassle, we'll just go with a different small, cheap camera, I guess. Thanks.

Thomas
Re: audio synch question: using 30fps "flip camera" footage in a 29.97 timeline
December 07, 2009 09:03AM
I don't think it will be an insurmountable task- I mean you aren't planning on a huge amount of footage from the flip are you?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
December 07, 2009 10:36AM
I know it can be done... I'm just hoping to hear from people who've done it... and hear what their workflow is. I've just heard a lot of grumbling (about out-of-synch audio) from people who've shot 30fps footage with the canon 5d mark II and tried to convert it to 24fps or 29.97fps. We have a quick turnaround on this edit, and we don't want to use flip cameras if we have to spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking the audio to get it in synch.

To answer your question, Noah, we won't be using too many long clips, but we will be using quite a few short ones... so it's imperative that the process be efficient.

Thanks.

Thomas
December 07, 2009 03:12PM
Well it's not going to be drag and drop but definitely not that tricky. Probably a manual drag on longer takes. If you can find another camera that shoots exactly at 29.97 it will be easier.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
December 07, 2009 06:29PM
For sure another camera that doesn't need dicking around before you can edit would be more efficient for fast turnaround.

I've just come off a job with seventeen stupid different in-car cameras and those occasional 20 second non-standard grabs all make the process soooo much slower.

December 08, 2009 07:36AM
Jude Cotter
I've just come off a job with seventeen stupid different in-car cameras and those occasional 20 second non-standard grabs all make the process soooo much slower.

I sincerely hope you were paid by the day or even the hour, & not a flat rate, for that one!!

deb
December 08, 2009 08:31PM
Yeah I'm a by-the-hour kinda gal winking smiley Still stressful when the deadline looms though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics