RAID and Log & Transfer

Posted by FilmBase 
RAID and Log & Transfer
December 01, 2009 01:27PM
Why is my HDD footage skipping?

I recently created a RAID to handle a Multiclip of 4 ProRes 422 clips. One HDV tape based, the other three Sony HDD Handycams. But now when I Log & Transfer footage from my Handycams the video constantly skips, the audio is fine however.

As a test, I Log & Transferred to my Mac HD and the footage skipped. I then tried Log & Transferring with different codecs, no luck. Finally I Log & Transferred on a different computer without a RAID and the footage was fine.

What am I doing wrong?

-- Jeff

Mac OS X 10.6.2
Dual 3 GHz Quad-Cord Intel Xeon
5 GB 667 MHz RAM
FCP 6.0.6
Editing in Apple ProRes 422
Sony Z7U HDV camera (tape)
Sony HDR-SR7 camera (hard drive)
Re: RAID and Log & Transfer
December 01, 2009 02:18PM
I'm wondering if it's a case of having "remove advanced pulldown and duplicate frames" checked in the Log and Transfer preferences.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 01, 2009 02:35PM
I'm wondering what "I recently created a RAID" means.

December 01, 2009 03:20PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Gerard. I tried Log & Transferring with and without the box checked but it still skips.

I noticed something strange though. On a clip Im about to Log & Transfer, I'll mark an In point and then hit Shift ? "+" to advance my play head 10 (or 20 or 30 etc.) seconds to mark an Out point. Once I mark the Out point, lets say for 10 seconds, the clip duration indicates 9;16. And that's how its captured as well. That isn't right, is it?

-- Jeff
December 01, 2009 03:33PM
Hi Jeff. I'm sorry for my terminology ignorance.

What is the proper terminology when taking two 750GB hard drives and using Disk Utility to format as Mac OS Extended with a RAID Type set to Stripped RAID Set and a RAID Block Size of 256k?

Any help is much appreciated.

-- Jeff
December 01, 2009 04:06PM
That's called a soft RAID.

>Finally I Log & Transferred on a different computer without a RAID and the footage was fine.

Does that play alright on the soft RAID you created with Disk Utility? Also, are you playing back a multiclip?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 01, 2009 04:32PM
Thanks for the terminology lesson, Gerard. I took Jeff's question as to mean "created" was the wrong word I used.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand.

Yes, the footage I Log & Transferred on a different computer without the RAID plays perfectly on my soft RAID I created with Disk Utility.

No, I am not playing a multiclip back, just the clip I captured. In fact, the original file in my Capture Scratch folder that was Log & Transferred on to the RAID skips. But the clip that was Log & Transferred from the non-RAID computer that is now on my RAID computer plays fine.

-- Jeff
December 09, 2009 05:15PM
After much testing and cursing, the problem has been narrowed down to something getting corrupt in the Mac OS X operating system. Re-installing 10.6.2 didn't even work. I am having to reformat the drive and install from scratch. It never was the soft RAID as I thought, even though the problem occurred right after I created the RAID.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

-- Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics