Theatre lighting color issue

Posted by DM 
DM
Theatre lighting color issue
December 04, 2009 03:06PM
purple instead of burgundy
In the attached photo, (click on text purple instead of burgundy) the dresses are supposed to be Burgundy not purple. I've run into this before when theaters mix lighting temperatures. Anyone know of a way this color can be shifted away from blue and add more red without affecting the rest of the colors? This is a 40 minute show and every time these dresses are on stage the color is "wrong". All other colors appear to be correct.
I don't have time to learn the "Color App" right now. Hoping to do this within FC color correctors.
thx

FC suite 3
Re: Theatre lighting color issue
December 04, 2009 08:12PM
You basically want this minus the black and white part:

[www.kenstone.net]

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
DM
December 05, 2009 01:33PM
thx, I may to have resort to this.
December 05, 2009 02:41PM
Well I wouldn't call it resort- that's actually a pretty easy color correction fix. Better to do in Color but just as doable with the color correction filter in FCP. Just need to practice. Hard would be blue berries served by blur haired grannies in front of a blue screen. Good luck separating that out.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
DM
December 05, 2009 03:12PM
yes, also, if I'm reading this right, the hard part is replacing the blue with the correct color as it doesn't exist in the video..

I'll have to sample a dark red and mess with the saturation or something to try and re-create the burgundy I'm looking for.
December 05, 2009 06:42PM
Well it's all just hues. All you have to do with the color corrector is first isolate the color you don't want- the purple. Then subtly adjust the hue until it looks more like the burgundy you do want. Once you have that- it's cut and paste attributes to all clips and fine tune. It shouldn't take much time at all once you understand how the color correction filter works. All the rest of that stuff in the tutorial need not apply.

Noah

DM
December 05, 2009 07:00PM
thx for your help. I'll give it a go. I've been trying to get some input on this before I start cutting because I could save a lot of work trying to find each clip in a timeline and paste the attribute. I'd like to drop the captured whole clip in the viewer, correct it as a whole and then start cutting. Funny thing is, I don't remember ever trying to do this. I've always dropped the filter in the timeline and double clicked the clip into the viewer etc... but I assume this other way could work.

thx again
dm
December 05, 2009 07:05PM
I'd just finish the cut first completely- then go into color correction. There's no point in correcting and rendering footage you're not even using.

Noah

December 05, 2009 08:43PM
There is some spill that you'll have to futz with - I had a quick go and the jacket on the woman in the front has got some colour spill from the girls behind, so you can see the edge of her jacket gets included in the CC.

Probably won't be that noticeable on moving footage, but it's worth being careful with the softening.

DM
December 05, 2009 09:53PM
yep, that's waaaay better. How did u get the shot into FC and re-post it?
December 06, 2009 12:08AM
I just downloaded the pic you posted, dragged it into FCP, used the method Noah has pointed you to, exported it, uploaded it to a website then linked it in here.

Sounds a lot harder than it is - probably took me three minutes all up.

DM
December 06, 2009 12:34AM
ALL RIGHT!!! Your HIRED....!!!!!!!
December 06, 2009 06:04AM
lol well, I am for hire, but kind of remote. You can do this easy. Just follow the tutorial.

December 06, 2009 02:58PM
>but kind of remote

She means she only flies first class. Loren needs a presidential suite. I can go by coach or pillion on a bike as long as there's a bus load of dancing hula girls on the other end.

www.strypesinpost.com
DM
December 06, 2009 03:23PM
I'm afraid we're gonna get somethin' started here.......
December 06, 2009 05:27PM
I'm sure we can tone it down a bit.

Jude's could probably do with business class, Loren can settle for the vice-presidential suite, and you can reduce the girls to half a bus load I'll make do with 25 mules...

Final offer.

www.strypesinpost.com
DM
December 11, 2009 11:46PM
Well, this is my last attempt at this. I've been unable to work on this all week. However, I got a shot from a still photographer that really shows what the color should be.

Having said this, while following the directions, when I take the saturation all the way out, nothing seems to happen. I can't get rid of the color, hence can't go any further. I'm about to give up. The reflective pieces added to the dresses make it very difficult to get a pure color shift.
December 12, 2009 01:43AM
You're not trying to remove anything. You just need to use the selection tools as described in that article to choose the colour(range) you want to adjust - and then use the colour wheels to adjust the mids, blacks and whites to make that group of colours the colour you want them to be.

So, select the colours with the eyedroper wile holding shift until you've got a good broad grip in it, then use the softening and edge this to refine the key (you can see what you have selected by using the 'key' button on the right - press it multiple times for different views). Then drag the thing in the middle of each colour wheel more towards magenta.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics