OT: Safari FTP

Posted by Adage12 
OT: Safari FTP
December 09, 2009 05:08PM
Hi: Does Safari support FTP? If not, any idea why?

Thanks'
Re: Safari FTP
December 09, 2009 05:45PM
Please post Off Topic questions as OT: or you run the risk of it being deleted as spam/trolling/inappropriate. (I have changed it this time)

To answer your question its because its built into the Mac OS an you don't need Safari.

If however you want a dedicated FTP app - I mainly use Cyberduck [cyberduck.ch]

Some people prefer other FTP apps such as:

Classic
[www.nchsoftware.com]

Transmit
[www.panic.com]

Fetch
[fetchsoftworks.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Safari FTP
December 09, 2009 05:54PM
There is also
[fireftp.mozdev.org]
which is an FTP client that works as a FireFox extension.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: OT: Safari FTP
December 09, 2009 05:58PM
I found this but it's not REALLY using safari to FTP

[macmost.com]

Its actually just using the Finder and you waste time opening Safari only to do what I describe below.

To connect to an FTP through the Mac OS by entering its address:

Choose Go > ?Connect to Server.?

Type

ftp:// <server_ftp_address_here>

eg: ftp:// ftp.myserver.com (no spaces)

or if you have the direct IP then

ftp:// 123.456.789.012

To add a computer or server to your Favorites list, click the Add (+) button after entering the address. If you have added a computer to the Favorites list, you can double-click it in the list.

Click Connect.

If necessary, enter your user name and password when prompted.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 09, 2009 08:29PM
thank you Adage 12 for asking
it's been four years that i didn't know how to ftp from my mac g5
until ben king wrote that it's always been on the os
i've had to transfer files to my memory stick and carry them to my pc for ftp
i'll try it tomorrow
December 09, 2009 08:54PM
Hi Ben thx for the response. Sorry didn't know about the OT. Yea I tried Cyberduck 3 days ago when I couldn't transfer from Safari. Not knowing that its in the OS. CD is a cool program and I will give OS a try as well. YW filmman.

Thanks'
December 10, 2009 04:05AM
you're welcome

December 10, 2009 02:43PM
i was able to log on to my ftp server by following your instructions, ben, but how do i transfer files from my desktop to the outside server now? there is no command to click on or a folder where I can send the files to, like other ftp clients?
December 10, 2009 02:54PM
Its connected as if it were an external disk and opened in a finder window so you drag and drop or cut and paste like you do usually in the Mac OS.

December 10, 2009 04:14PM
Thanks for the reply, Ben. The window had some folders in it, but they were like mail folders and cgi folders; however, the public_html folder appeared only as a document!? I was hoping to open it like a folder containing my html and jpeg files and folders at my remote server, but it didn't. When I clicked on it, it said something about error 36....

Do I have to configure my remote site to be accessible from my G5? See, my PC ftp client Core ftp Lite works like a standard ftp client, with two windows: my computer files on the left and the remote files on the right, with arrows between them so I can move files from one side to the other (as you know).

This mac OS ftp client doesn't seem to work the same way. Are there preferences to set up?

Thanks Ben for the help. This is of major importance for all Mac and FCP users who must upload movie files to their websites. It will save me a lot of time if I can use this method of doing ftp like the old Fetch used to work in the mid-90s. It was free too. The new fetch costs money. I don't know what they want for it. Their website doesn't say anything. And cyber duck doesn't work the same way. I was able to use it once, but it's a bit complicated.
December 10, 2009 07:34PM
Here's a simple tutorial FTP in the Mac OS

December 11, 2009 12:21PM
Thanks Jude. I went to the next step (share) and did it.
But I still can't just drag and drop a file from one window into the next.
it says error 36
it's not working

the tutorial is long and too complicated. what do i have to do now? firewall settings?
December 11, 2009 12:24PM
>the tutorial is long and too complicated.

No it isn't. Everything you need is on page 1. Unless you want to run your own ftp server. I use pureftp.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 11, 2009 12:52PM
when you type in the ftp server details to connect - try typing the whole path

eg: ftp:// ftp.yoursever.com/public_html/

See if that works - if not contact your Host and ask them.

It works fine for me on every site and host I use.

December 11, 2009 09:39PM
That worked, Ben!
Ok, I was able to drag files from my website server to my desktop.
But I can't drag files from my desktop into my website server.
The message: "Cannot modify file" in the remote site public_html folder prevents me from dragging files to my remote web server.

How do I configure my remote server to allow me to drag files from my website to display on my website?

Thank, Ben, we're almost there~
December 12, 2009 11:51AM
It will most likely be down to the FTP settings for that particular account.

There are a set of file permissions that each user will have allotted saying this file or folder or user has read only permissions or read/write permissions or non at all.

You should have a website control panel on your hosting package that will allow these.

It would be a better idea to call/email the hosting provider and ask them directly as there are many different ways they could have it set up.

I personally wouldn't bother if its that much trouble - cyberduck and many of the other FTP apps can be used the same way ie: drag and drop.

December 12, 2009 01:56PM
Thanks, Ben. I was beginning to suspect that was the case. In fact, there is a pretty nice File Manager on my hosting company website. I will look it over tonight, and if it looks like I will mess up my settings, I'll send Support an email to help me with the set up.

I think it's a really elegant and an efficient way of doing ftp between my computer and remote hosting server to just be able to transfer the files via drag and drop. In the case of newer versions of the trailers I have running on my websites and the jpegs and even html files, I can just replace them and manage them right from my Desktop. How wonderful a choice that is, instead of dealing with ftp Clients that run advertising and God-knows what while I'm only interested in managing my websites.

Thanks a bunch, Ben; you continue to be such a brilliant and valuable expert on the worldwide websmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics