Good inexpensive analog to digital converter?

Posted by Kristian Idol 
Good inexpensive analog to digital converter?
September 28, 2009 09:09AM
When I first got FCP, I used a friend's DV cam to Log and Cap. Well, the friend doesn't live here any more, and I have my own Sony mini-DV that I'd like to download footage from and start editing.

Also, I'd like to take some shorts I worked on (as crew) that are on VHS and put several on a DVD with a menu, etc. And a couple VHS of home videos, edit with title cards, put on DVD for family as well.

What are the better converters out there? I don't want to spend $500, but up to $200 might be fine. I've seen the Canopus ADVC-55 and the Datavideo DAC-100 on eBay. It appears the DAC-100 can convert both ways, not sure when I'd use that...

Advice? Potholes to avoid? Worthiness of step-up features? Please help the newb.
Re: Good inexpensive analog to digital converter?
September 28, 2009 09:16AM
Hi Kristian,

I currently have a DataVideo DAC-2 for sale in the LAFCPUG Market (asking $225 w/free shipping):

[www.lafcpug.org]

PM me if you are interested...!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 28, 2009 10:13AM
If it's VHS- not much signal to be saved with a 'higher end' A/D converter. Any DV camera or deck with RCA inputs would do the job. Play VHS out, record DV tape in and then capture the DV tapes.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 28, 2009 10:43AM
> Play VHS out, record DV tape in and then capture the DV tapes.

You could capture directly from the VHS by selecting Non-Controllable Device from FCP, using the DV deck as a Composite-FireWire converter. The disadvantage is that you don't get timecoded tapes as a backup; the advantage is speed.

And "download" is the wrong term for creating clips from tape. You "capture" from tape.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2009 11:08AM
I bought a Pinnacle DVBox model that connects between an analog source video and my G5-FCP. It captures directly via Non-Contralable Device (NCD) setting in FCP Capture Presets menu. I think I won it on eBay for about $100. BTW, somebody here recommended it. I also asked the expert on Moviola. It has worked for me fine for the last three years.

The results aren't stunning, but it seems to be adequate for VHS anyways ... as indicated above. What Joey has might be a better system, because I was wondering what is required if you want to go from 3/4 inch masters or 1 inch masters?
September 28, 2009 12:33PM
The better the connector- the slightly better A/D will look. In rough order to higher quality- Composite, RCA, S-Video, SDI, etc. VHS is still garbage in garbage out though.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 28, 2009 01:02PM
My unit is SDI (Component) or SVideo I/O through FireWire into the computer & back out:

Typical Install:

This used to be the ONLY WAY to get BetaSP / DigiBeta converted to DV into a computer back in the day. Combiuned with an optional USB Serial controller (INCLUDED) and an RS-422 cable, you had machine control as well.

Willing to work with you a bit on the price. It just needs a good home - I am not using it anymore.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 28, 2009 09:07PM
depending on your computer,
another option would be to get the inexpensive Blackmagic Intensity Pro.
at US$199 it's within your budget,
and it can capture your VHS tapes to ProRes, which would be a lot better then DV.

i know you are starting with VHS,
but DV (especially the NTSC variety) into DVD is really bad.

i think the intensity can also capture to DV if you want,
so you wouldn't be loosing anything,
just getting more options.

if you want to spend just a little bit more,
i'd suggest you also get the Neat Video noise reduction plugin for FCP. (US$50 for the home version)
it can really make your old VHS tapes shine again.

[www.neatvideo.com]

cheers,
nick
September 28, 2009 09:56PM
why not the cheap little video recorder from Blackmagic? All you need is a USB connection and it encodes straight to h.264

[www.decklink.com]

works great. I use it for all VHS tapes.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 16, 2009 04:56PM
Hello Michael -

I just posted my VHS signal problem to the forum at large; would this product help me with stabilizing the drop-outs on my VHS tapes? The tapes are not copy-protected, I'm just having drop-out issues.

Thanks!

JLC

Mac OS X 10.5.8
4x2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics