Canvas, Color and Calibration

Posted by FilmBase 
Canvas, Color and Calibration
December 16, 2009 01:10PM
Right up front, all the movies I edit and grade are for the web.

In terms of the color and contrast of an exported QuickTime movie from FCP, I am unable to get anything to be consistent. The original QuickTime (from HDV) looks different than what is in the Canvas of FCP. The Canvas looks different from what the viewer looks like in Apple's Color. The graded exported QuickTime movie also looks different than what was in Color.

I've tried using Apple's Display Calibrator to calibrate my two 24inch Dell monitors and I'm happy with the way my Desktop looks but that's as far as it goes. Its done a number on the way the players/viewers mentioned above look.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I get my Canvas, the viewer in Color and the QuickTime movie to look consistent?

-- Jeff
Re: Canvas, Color and Calibration
December 16, 2009 01:39PM
In the QUICKTIME PREFERENCES, you can check the option ENABLE FCP COLOR COMPATIBLITY. That will get it to look like it does in FCP.

But the problem is, you are using software designed for editing and outputting professional formats to tape or DVD...all meant for viewing on a TV. Color especially is designed for this. So you are trying to get them in a workflow for QT delivery when they aren't really designed for that purpose.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 16, 2009 01:53PM
Thanks, Shane. I never knew about that QT preference, it made a big difference and helps.

"So you are trying to get them in a workflow for QT delivery when they aren't really designed for that purpose."

Is there no way to create a professional workflow for QT delivery?

-- Jeff
December 16, 2009 02:06PM
I'm sure there is. But I don't know what they are. I do broadcast.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 16, 2009 07:50PM
Me too, but more and more web work. And Shane, that has to be a very new setting in QT Pro; thank you for that. I just checked it and now suddenly I have a suntan.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 16, 2009 07:54PM
That came about in QT 7.5 or something... not TOO long ago.

YOU didn't know about it? Loren...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics