Best sub-$2500 monitoring solution for DVCPROHD workflow?

Posted by clay 
Best sub-$2500 monitoring solution for DVCPROHD workflow?
December 15, 2009 02:08PM
I've been doing a lot of reading and searching here on the forum and elsewhere about various HD monitoring solutions. I don't think my situation is necessarily unique, but here's what I'm working through and I would value your feedback...

Current needs:
We edit in DV/DVCPRO50/DVCPROHD and some AVCHD (from the Panny HMC150). We're looking for a way to monitor our footage that gives better results than the built-in FCP Digital Cinema Desktop Preview in terms of color accuracy, full display of all HD pixels (i.e. no image scaling based on screen size), etc. The solution will be used with an existing Mac Pro FCP system. We do some local/regional broadcast work, corporate video, web video, etc. We're not doing programs for network broadcast or DVDs which will see wide release. So we don't need the absolute best solution, but are simply looking to upgrade our capabilities in line with the type of work we produce.

I had initially thought that the Matrox MXO/Dell or ACD setup would be a simple way to upgrade our look without breaking the bank. With the MXO no longer available new, I'm looking into other options.

There's the BMD HDLink Pro DVI that looks similar to what the MXO was, and definitely in our pricerange. The MXO 2 series looks good, but more than we need, since we don't really have a need for video acquisition via SDI, HDMI, etc, etc. All our content is acquired from P2 or SD media. The AJA Io Express looks like a decent option for monitoring as well coupled with a HDTV of some sort.

So...if you needed to put together a $2500 (or less) solution for monitoring knowing that you need some sort of display, and an output device, what would you get, and why?
Re: Best sub-$2500 monitoring solution for DVCPROHD workflow?
December 15, 2009 02:22PM
Look at the MXO2 mini. HDMI out to a GOOD Panasonic plasma (the 12UK in the 42" range)...and the MXO2 allows you to balance the monitor to bars via HDMI.

And you say that you don't need to ACQUIRE...fine. But OUTPUT? To tape? Need a card for that too.

Look at the MXO2 LE for $995. And the IO Express....and the new Motu HDX-SDI too. And the Decklink Intensity Pro.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2009 02:25PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look at the MXO2 mini. HDMI out to a GOOD
> Panasonic plasma (the 12UK in the 42" range)...and
> the MXO2 allows you to balance the monitor to bars
> via HDMI.
>
> And you say that you don't need to ACQUIRE...fine.
> But OUTPUT? To tape? Need a card for that too.
>
>
> Look at the MXO2 LE for $995. And the IO
> Express....and the new Motu HDX-SDI too. And the
> Decklink Intensity Pro.

Thanks, Shane.

No need to output to tape--I can't remember the last time I've made a tape--at least a year ago! We tend to deliver digitally to TV stations, on the web, or on DVDs to clients.

I'll look a little closer at the MXO2 mini. I saw that in the lineup, but I should look a little more...
December 15, 2009 02:35PM
Just looked a little at the Panasonic Plasmas, and found one that seems to be a nice display:

Unfortunately, it's back-ordered, so I guess I'll keep looking for another one that handles 1080p natively...
December 15, 2009 02:36PM
My 2 cents (shane...not gonna like this opinion either):

I decided to give Matrox another chance in 2010 and started looking at their products. I went to their website and the FIRST THING I ran into was this:

[www.matrox.com]

PURCHASE SUPPORT TOKENS

A support token is required to speak with a Matrox customer support representative after the six-month period for which you're eligible for free phone support has expired. One support token can be redeemed for one support incident.

Purchase a Support Token? After a 6 month "Free Phone Support" phone period is over?? I couldn't find out how much these "Support Tokens" were because you have to register your product first.

AJA would never do such a thing. It always goes back to the Customer Service / Tech Support thing for me. Oh well...I gave it a shot grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 15, 2009 03:38PM
YOIKS! First I heard of this. What's up with that?

Well, AJA costs a tad more, but I guess what is included in that price is unlimited tech support. That is only a GOOD thing.

But if cost is a factor, and for many people it is, I still recommend Matrox. Great products for a lower price. Just hope the issues/bugs are found in that first 6 months, or that online tech support (they have free forums) will be able to assist.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2009 04:18PM
AH... I looked into that. That is for their PC products. OLD PC products.

The video products and all their current stuff all carry 3 year parts/tech support coverage.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 16, 2009 06:18AM
I am in the market for a good Hdmi monitor with real low black levels

- with matted borders not glossy all around
- true 1920*1080
- 32 " size, (can you edit in a 42" in an average editing room ?)

it's seems such a thing doesn't exist

maybe the Sony KDL-32S5600E but I wonder about it's image quality, what about the black levels ? , it seems lower end. it doesn't carry any Motion Flow 100Hz etc ... witch might be a good thing.

all those prosumer Tv have that kind of " image improving" even 200Hz now. isn't his a trap?
December 16, 2009 12:06PM
LCD and "low black levels" is an oxymoron. You'll be VERY hard pressed to get the same black levels you can with a CRT. eCinema has one, but it's $30,000. But the SELLING point is "low black levels." But it doesn't do HDMI.

200hz monitors BLOW IMHO. Just saw TRANSFORMERS 2 playing on one at FRY's ELECTRONICS. HORRID...looked like smooth video...NOT film. I don't understand why people want this. Why salesmen push this as a "great feature!"

Sucks.

Panasonic Pro Plasmas have the best black levels out there. Used by major post facilities here in LA as ACTUAL color correction monitors. Smallest you can get is 42"

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 16, 2009 08:07PM
Not to be confused with Panansonic 40, 46, 52" plasmas available at Costco.

Although I really like the Sony Bravia 40" lcd they were offering for strictly end-product viewing. That'll just fit...

Motionflow... eyuck. I watched Star Trek WRATH OF KHAN on a Samsung with that feature switched on. Bizarre. It felt like the entire scene was shot in a video studio before a live audience. Brain dead.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 17, 2009 08:15AM
Shane Ross Wrote:
> out to a GOOD
> Panasonic plasma (the 12UK in the 42" range)...

Shane,

I did a quick google on this monitor. Couldn't pull up much. Is there a more complete model number available or do you have a webpage indicating this model?

-Andrew
December 17, 2009 09:22AM
Andrew Stone Wrote:
> Shane Ross Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > out to a GOOD
> > Panasonic plasma (the 12UK in the 42" range)...
>
> Shane,
>
> I did a quick google on this monitor. Couldn't
> pull up much. Is there a more complete model
> number available or do you have a webpage
> indicating this model?
>
> -Andrew
My previous link (which doesn't work) linked to one of the models that Shane is referring to. Here's that link again (hopefully it works):

[www.bhphotovideo.com]
December 17, 2009 09:33AM
clay: With the MXO no longer available new, I'm looking into other options.

Not so, Clay. The MXO is still very much available new ... try Matrox's online store, or Videoguys, and B&H have it too (and cheaper)
[shopmatrox.com]
[www.videoguys.com]
[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Still a great critical monitoring product for use with suitable DVI based displays. That said ...

clay: The MXO 2 series looks good, but more than we need

Always good to be prepared for the unexpected ... and the MXO2 Mini is half the price of the MXO. If you don't specifically need 1920x1200 DVI based support or scan convertor functionality then the MXO2 series are likely a better buy. Then MXO2 Mini w/MAX option and the MXO2LE are both much the same price as the older MXO and offer much more potential functionality.

Shane: looked like smooth video...NOT film

Film look, shmilm look ... theres nothing special about the motion quality of film, it just happens to be what you're used to / accustomed to associating with cinema. (Oh my god, did I just say that out loud?)

Andrew: Is there a more complete model number available

I think the 12UK model referenced is the TH-42PH12UK but be aware that its a native 720p panel rather than 1080 ... that said its a damn fine monitor and by all accounts great for for critical color evaluation when properly calibrated. Still, I'd go for that 1080p one myself.

Another nice monitor thats worth a (second?) look is the HP DreamColor LP2480zx.
Take a look at Allan Tepper's review and notes on connectivity over on the ProVideoCoalition website:
[provideocoalition.com]
[provideocoalition.com]

In the context of the MXO2 its worth taking note that presently for full compatibility with the Dreamcolor engine, as per the info linked above, you'd need to monitor any 1080i/1080p output as 720p (using the MXO2's hardware to down/cross convert) unless or until Matrox pull their finger out and offer a proper true 1080p monitoring output option.

Cheers
Andy
December 17, 2009 09:59AM
Andy,

Thanks for all your valuable input.

I'd heard of the HP DreamColor, but hadn't given it a thorough look. Looks like it might pair well with the MXO2 Mini (understanding the current limitation of no true 1080p display until Matrox releases new firmware).

Another option to consider...
December 17, 2009 10:46AM
Matrox support has improved tremendously over the years. Still not up to the standards that Aja has set, but they are moving in the right direction.

The support tokens are for RTX2 / Axio product lines. MOX2 family all come with free telephone support. The Matrox support forums are pretty good and they have their techs on them all the time.

If you are considering an MXO2 Mini, look into the MAX feature. The accelerated H.264 rendering is a real productivity boost. We've posted an MXO2 family FAQ on our site that has lots of helpful info.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics