Export High Quality Stills

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Export High Quality Stills
December 20, 2009 03:54PM
What is the highest quality method of exporting stills from a 10 bit Quicktime movie? I used Quicktime's export to PNG with "Best" settings and the results look awful. They also come out labeled as .pct files instead of .png for some strange reason.

Thanks.
Re: Export High Quality Stills
December 20, 2009 04:41PM
Use TIFF. Also, any still export from video is going to be limited, since even an HD movie at HDTV frame size is only 1920x1080 -- small by print standards.

www.derekmok.com
December 30, 2009 08:35AM
Yep, not only that but how many cameras actually shoot 10 bit?? Changes are your footage was shot with at least some compression and up-converted later to 10 bit.
December 30, 2009 11:19AM
i know ps wont really help size but dont you have to take stills made from video into PS to tweak?

I have gotten some decent results with that. however, i also was shrinking the still and not usually printing. It was for web purposes mostly or shrunk for a postcard i did once.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 30, 2009 06:28PM
You haven't given us any information on your video file / size / format / etc. 10 Bit what? Uncompressed SD? Is it interlaced?

You can't export higher quality stills than they already are in video form. In other words, a DV still exported as a TIFF will still look like a DV Still...just will be a larger size. IMHO, a good option is to export a "Still Image / Tiff" from a single frame in FCP.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics