What Format for editing?

Posted by mindsnare 
What Format for editing?
January 03, 2010 06:57AM
Aloha

I have a mixed footage project consisting of XDCAM 35MB 1080I60 footage / MJPEG 85 percent / and XDCAM 35MB 1080 30P footage - most of the footage is XDCAM 35MB 1080I60.

My questions is what format should I use to edit and export this beast? I want to keep it as high a quality as possible.

Thanks in advance
Sean
Re: What Format for editing?
January 03, 2010 10:38AM
With regards to all long GOP formats, if I don't have the storage space to convert everything to ProRes, I usually do my offline cuts natively with renders set to ProRes, and during finishing, either convert the footage to ProRes, or switch the sequence to ProRes.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: What Format for editing?
January 03, 2010 10:45AM
Yeah there's no downside to 'offlining' it in the native camera format and then doing your final renders out to ProRes. That's about as pristine as you can make things considering the original source. For cleaner source, look into something like an AJA KiPro for direct ProRes capture and skip the in-camera codec.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics