Easy audio EQ within FCP

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Easy audio EQ within FCP
January 04, 2010 04:33PM
I know there are tons of ways to EQ audio in Soundtrack Pro, but I'm looking for something that I can do even more quickly and easily within FCP...if this is possible.

I used to edit on a DPS Velocity years ago, and it had a graphic equalizer on a part of the screen where you could take a pen tool and visually bring up or down whatever frequencies you wanted...basically the same as the Channel EQ filter in Soundtrack Pro. I could easily do it in less than 10 seconds, whereas taking it into Soundtrack Pro takes considerably longer to do...unless I'm doing something wrong.

I'm not looking for perfection...just a little frequency reduction, such as a truck idling or an air conditioner.

The closest I've seen on FCP is the AU GraphicEQ filter...but it lists out the frequencies and you're supposed to pick the one and drop the number down. I don't have the ability to listen to something and say "oops, there's a little hum at about 5000 kHz" and proceed to pick the right one from the AU GraphicEQ filter.

I already know how to use the Channel EQ filter in Soundtrack Pro, but I am wondering if there's anything similar that I can do already in FCP. Again, I'm not looking for perfection...something quick and dirty. Oh, and I already have SoundSoap. I want something quicker and dirtier!

Thanks!
Casey
Re: Easy audio EQ within FCP
January 04, 2010 11:27PM
>just a little frequency reduction, such as a truck idling or an air conditioner.

I'm not sure if you can pick that out with a spectrum analyzer, as they are multi band noises. Yea, it's gonna be Soundtrack Pro for EQs. Nothing much in FCP as far as non-clunky audio tools are concerned.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Easy audio EQ within FCP
January 05, 2010 02:12AM
in FCP, i use the 3 Band EQ.

drop it onto the clip in the timeline, double click it into the viewer, and go to the Filters tab.

if the offending noise in the bass, like a low rumble,
lift the bass gain UP all the way,
work the frequency slider till you MAXIMISE the offending sound.

now that you have zeroed in on it, bring the gain back down till you minimize the sound without affecting the voice too much.

mid range noises will probably intersect with the voice too much,
but you can try it and see how you go.

oh, if you have been using the audio mix tool to record audio keyframes,
then you will also record all the tweaking you do in the audio filters, too.
i like to add the "record Audio Keyframes" button to the viewer for this reason.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics